Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Default Eleven Rack in PT HD

What's the best way of hooking up the Eleven Rack into PT HD 8.x?
I'm using Aurora 16.

Should I go out of it via xlr into the Aurora 16 Analog in and then try to find it in the hardware setup in PT?

What's the best way?

Thanks

GD
Old 07-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack in PT HD

Hopefully you've got some free SPDIF or AES/EBU ports on those boxes. If so go digital out of the Eleven Rack and Digital back into the Eleven Rack for reamping would seem a way better option to me than wanting to use analog.

This is well described in the User Guide and there are videos on YouTube by "BenoniStudio" on hooking up the Eleven Rack to other interfaces, reamping etc.

Darryl
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 PM

You'll definitely want to go in and out digitally to the 11R if you've got an Aurora. The digital conversion of the Aurora is much better. And regardless of how good or bad the conversion of the 11R is, you want to avoid unneeded extra steps of conversion. If you hook up the 11R with it's analog outs, you're adding an extra step of conversion (it converts your guitar signal to digital for the processing, then back to analog for the line outs. Then you convert it back to digital again going in to the Aurora).
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Yep, hook it up through the AES/EBU on the Aurora. Works great!!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Well it depends. I run my 11R analog out to two UA6176's or AP 7600's and in to the a16. So if you have some nice path choices try them, The digital is no where near as good sounding as when i hit the AU6176 or the API's.

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM

One more question on the 11 Rack.

Is it possible to have one output going into the Aurora and thus into PT and another output going into a power amp?
I don't need to hear both at the same time.

I just don't want to unplug it from PT every time I need to hook it up to a power amp to use in regular cabinets.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrDude View Post
One more question on the 11 Rack.

Is it possible to have one output going into the Aurora and thus into PT and another output going into a power amp?
I don't need to hear both at the same time.

I just don't want to unplug it from PT every time I need to hook it up to a power amp to use in regular cabinets.
Again I would start going digital to the Aurora. You have the XLRs out to go to a power amp/powered speakers and you have two amps out to go to guitar amps and you can select in detail what these anlaog outs are sending (e.g. rig out, guitar in etc.). You can even use the FX sends to get another pair of analog outputs if you want to hook up to the Aurora via analog. The Eleven Rack is very flexible. Seriously stop wasting time asking questions and just get one

Darryl