Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM

Default Buying new interface. Any suggestions?

Long story short. I have a Profire 2626 I can't use on my brand new MacBook, due to the latest version of OS X I'm running, which is 10.8.2. M-Audio has yet to release drivers that are compatible with this update. I've waited around for a while and I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy an interface I can use.
I've been looking at the Apogee Duet 2. It's in my price range, I've heard so far, nothing but good things about it. Yes, I know I will be going from 8 ins and outs, down to 2, but I'm alright with that. I like the size of the Duet 2, and that it's more portable than a lot of interfaces. That's where I'm at this far.
I thought before I make the purchase I should ask for suggestions on other interfaces that I should look into before purchasing the Duet 2. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks.
-Matt
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Buying new interface. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptoupe View Post
Long story short. I have a Profire 2626 I can't use on my brand new MacBook, due to the latest version of OS X I'm running, which is 10.8.2. M-Audio has yet to release drivers that are compatible with this update. I've waited around for a while and I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy an interface I can use.
I've been looking at the Apogee Duet 2. It's in my price range, I've heard so far, nothing but good things about it. Yes, I know I will be going from 8 ins and outs, down to 2, but I'm alright with that. I like the size of the Duet 2, and that it's more portable than a lot of interfaces. That's where I'm at this far.
I thought before I make the purchase I should ask for suggestions on other interfaces that I should look into before purchasing the Duet 2. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.
Thanks.
-Matt
The new MBox devices sound really great and you could get the MBox 3 standalone for cheaper than the Duet with basically the same sound. The MBox Pro would run you about $100 more than the Duet but give you more I/O and a built in monitor switcher.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM

I will check these out. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 PM

Being reasonable would mean to go for MBox3 without a doubt . Good sound, SPDIF input (if you plan to use an external preamp which might be a good idea within this price range to get a professional Vocal/Guitar whatever signal), more features and nice gimmicks than the Apogee. Unfortunately the IMO crucial advantage over the other interfaces Avid gave up with version 3 which was the real zero latency/direct monitoring function at the MBox2 (now only in the MBox Mini). So this might be no big problem actually but now itīs a software based low latency monitoring (like Apogeeīs Maestro software) which is definitely not zero, itīs ok though. If itīs all about sound quality only IMO you should go for the Duet as it is just slightly better sounding than the MBoxes; more open, more depth, kinda more balanced over the whole frequency range (whereas the MBoxes are strong within the mids). Another crucial issue which you seriously should consider is about 3rd party drivers. I know what I`m talking about as me personally got stuck with my Digi003 last autumn which led me to the financially difficult decision to have to change my interface too. After a long time searching and testing I ended up with the new Apogee Quartet which has me got never look back anymore. Itīs incredibly well sounding! Much better than the Digi003 though itīs the same price range actually. And whatever 3rd party app you wanna run it simply does work great as great as it does with Pro Tools 10.3.3 on MacOs 10.8.2.! I have never looked back changin to Apogee hardware. Itīs the best sounding and working combination Iīve ever worked with-Pro Tools with Apogee. What Apogee does not offer that much are lots of features and gimmicks, itīs more kinda raw, pure, essential in kinda way. You definitely have to check out your needs before buying but overall the sound quality of Apogeeīs hardware outdoes most of the others in the same price range and it will work well with all other apps too (me using it additionally with Logic Pro 9, IK T-Racks Grand etc.) even with iTunes (which never was possible with Avidīs drivers). But thatīs all of course just my personal experience.
Good luck, whatever you might choose, it only has to be the right one for your personal needs and preferences (which the Quartet actually is for me personally), MBox3 as well as Duet are the best in the that range IMO, you canīt go wrong actually .
Cheers,

VRW

P.S.: a 3rd product in this range which could be interesting too would be the new Focusrite Forte (just came to my mind) which I heard to be sounding very musically but it actually has the same raw/essential features as the Apogee (no SPDIF/ADAT, not as well equipped as the MBox indeed). But maybe itīs worth to check it out on YouTube as there you can hear some stuff made with it and got some reviews.

iMac 3.06GHz, 12GBRam, Mac OS 10.8.2, Pro Tools 10.3.3, Logic 9 Pro, Apogee Quartet, Genelecs Active, Yamaha NS10, Waves v9.2, SSL Duende Native, MCDSP, Softube, IK Multimedia etc.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 AM

Doesn't the 2.4.1 driver for the profire work for you?

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...&f=1236#readme

Just posting in case it's something you missed.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it! The 2.4.1 driver didn't work for me, tried multiple times with no luck. Anyhow, this is where I'm at, I've been looking at the Duet 2 and the RME Babyface. From what I've read, it seems like the RME is the way to go. Any thoughts? Also, has anyone else used the Apogee Quartet? Seems like an awesome interface besides a few limitations and a larger pricetag, but if it's worth it, it's worth it. Those are the 3 I've been looking at, I like the simplicity of Apogee's design, but I don't like the fact that their base DI tone is pre colored. I haven't heard anything bad about RME yet. Let me know what you think, or you're using. Thanks!

-Matt
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM

I have the Profire 2626 as well and I am running 10.8.2 on both my mac pro and mbp and it works just fine.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Buying new interface. Any suggestions?

It all depends in what your needs are as far as current and future I/O. I'm admittedly a metric halo fan and love my ULN-2 and 2882. These may be a bit out of your price range, but are fantastic. As are all the ones mentioned so far. In fact I was looking at the same interfaces you were when someone first mentioned MH to me.

Long story shortish, I've come to truly appreciate what DSP can do. At this point the only box besides a MH one I would consider is the uad Apollo. And would probably still go MH just because of all they can do with their on board DSP.

I'll also add I'm considering selling my ULN-2 expanded. I just don't track very much these days, so I don't need the extra I/O, and my 2882 has the +DSP license, so no way I'm selling that one. Unless I'm buying a ULN-8 to replace it. hit me up if you're interested or have any questions about how the MH boxes work.

That said you're on the right track with any if the interfaces your looking at and should be happy with any of them.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 AM

I don't trust Avid not to "tweak" their devices in ProTools so I don't buy Avid interfaces anymore. Plus, in my experience the core audio drivers for them have always been buggy in both Windows and OSX. Of course other may have had different experiences.

I'm still waiting to see if my 2626 will get one last driver update from M-Audio. They claim they're still supporting the interface, but almost no one is selling it anymore. I might be okay anyway since I have a 2010 MacBook but nothing is pushing me to upgrade my OS from 10.7 so I'm staying there for now.

If I were forced to replace my 2626 right now I'd probably get a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, but I have no personal experience with that interface so that advice ain't worth much!

Good luck.
dave
Old 02-02-2013, 11:57 AM

Thanks a lot everyone! I will definitely check out the metric halo, haven't heard of them before now. My friend just bought the uad apollo and loves it, hefty price tag, but sure it's worth it. Jason, I don't know how you have your 2626 running but consider yourself one of the lucky ones. It seems that that the majority of people that are having problems getting the 2626 to work properly are the one's using a fairly new Mac, 3-4 months old. But it's a toss up. Check out the Maudio forums, there are too many people in the same position I am in, forced to buy a new interface basically. I bought my 2626 for $400 bucks new, 6 months ago, so hopefully I can sell it online and get close to that. Now that I'm in this position though, I want to make sure that the next interface I buy is truly going to stand out, in my mix and in it's performance. Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks again.
-Matt