Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2001, 08:51 AM

Default Soft SampleCell

Now that Soft SampleCell is being released, a couple of questions:
Will it run on 5.01?
Will it read Akai/EMU/Roland sound libraries?
Thanks
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 05-04-2001, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Soft SampleCell

Check it out...

http://www.digidesign.com/products/p...roduct_id=1445

It doesn't look like I'm going to be buying it. I'm using GigaStudio 160 and I was thninking about getting it just to work with the Mac alone sometimes but it looks sorta plain and boring.

Jason
Old 05-04-2001, 02:19 PM

It looks like the Old SampleCell With Direct Connect¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

Must have took years to develope it!!!!!
Old 05-05-2001, 12:01 AM

I would like to know what kind of latency to expect with Soft Sample Cell through Direct Connect.

Would be nice if the Soft SampleCell was Built into Protools or a TDM Plug-In.

Also I would certainly expect no less than direct AKAI Import!! Soft SampleCell would be obsolete before it is released if it can't do this simple function!! AKAI has the largest selection of CD-Roms!!!!!!!

Digi Please fill us in

------------------
[email protected]
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>The Greatest Risk in Life is Doing Nothing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-05-2001, 05:36 PM

It doesnt look like it reads akai. but theres a program called interpreter that does do that. I dont think that program works with roland or emu esi and eos formats, but there are other programs that will convert those formats to wav and aiff wich soft sample sell does read.

A good site for this kind of info is:
www.synthzone.com

Im kind of curious if there will be cool filters or any goodies on this package?
Will there be a downloadable demo?
Old 05-05-2001, 06:59 PM

the info talks about reading .wav files.
I know akai discs are in a dos/windows format, so i'd assume the files are .wav files?
does this mean it will read akai?

digi?
Old 05-05-2001, 07:36 PM

the Akai format refers to the akai s1000/s3000 format wich is not wav or aiff thus requiring software to translate it to that. In their newer s5000 and s6000 the standard format is indeed .wav as akai must have seen the connection between Pc's and samplers and how that can make peoples lives easier though those samplers also read the akai format.
Try putting an akai disk into your pc and it wont stay in very long unless you have a special program to read akai format.

Obviously since soft sample cell reads .wav files if thats what you use its no problem. The soft sample cell does not appear to read akai s1000/3000 disks. Some people have spent thousands on sample libraries wich makes this a big deal to them.

So, whats up with filters, wheres the demo.......
Old 05-05-2001, 09:39 PM

thanks for the clarification.
I actually never use pc's, just macs, and convert them with osmosis.
I just assumed that they were in a "normal" PC format.
But i suppose if they were, they would probably mount on a mac with PCexchange, which they will not.

good to know
Old 05-06-2001, 01:07 PM

I am surprised that SS is still RAM based - and doesn't work like GigaSampler, etc which stream the samples from disk... SS will require very large amounts of system RAM.

Dissapointed.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-07-2001, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rail Jon Rogut:
I am surprised that SS is still RAM based - and doesn't work like GigaSampler, etc which stream the samples from disk... SS will require very large amounts of system RAM.

Dissapointed.

Rail

Right on, me I am surprised too.
It is very old fashioned that Soft Sample Cell is almost still the same as years ago, ok it is now direct connect and more voices, outputs and some filters but what we need is like you say harddisk streaming, supporting keymaps from Akai, Roland, Emu, Gigasampler etc etc.
Look at the other softsampler like for instance Bitheadz, they have so many powerfull features. Reaktor 3.0, very cool.
Even Emagic's new sampler which can work together with tdm supports harddisk streaming. I have used all the Akai samplers from the S612 till the latest S6000 and they always were fully expanded with every option you could imagine. They were very good until S6000 came out but I still think the new Sampe cell still cannot match an Akai S3000.
I am using a hardware Sample cell with tdm extension but it is really a basic sample player. Works very good ok but now today more samplers work stable and ok. A sampler is a workhorse so there should be workhorse features built in like realtime time stretching for instance and why can't Digi make no rtas sampler cause the latest Unity is and they have a 256 voice polyphony and and and....
I know it is not possible to adress enough ram to the Motorola dsps on the mix farm to build a tdm sampler but maybe it is possible with some tricks cause I was told by a plug-in developer that it was not possible even to build an Rtas sampler but Unity did it so why not a tdm sampler, would be very cool with my mix farms collection. Still did not decide which soft sampler to use.
Come on Digi noone can do it better so go for it and build it for all of us. We Protools addicts are been waiting for it for so long now. Don't let us suffer.
Haluk

------------------
www.ogmrecordings.com

[This message has been edited by Bülent&Haluk (edited May 07, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bülent&Haluk (edited May 07, 2001).]