Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2024, 04:56 AM

Default Feature Request: Order tracks by dragging from the Edit Window to the Track Pane?

I'd like to see the ability to move the selected tracks from the Edit Window to another location in the Track Pane.

I keep trying to do this,- especially when I'm moving a track a long way from its original location.
Is there any way this could be implemented on a future release?

Thank you
Old 03-20-2024, 06:30 AM
Avid

Default Re: Feature Request: Order tracks by dragging from the Edit Window to the Track Pane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0kid View Post
I'd like to see the ability to move the selected tracks from the Edit Window to another location in the Track Pane.

I keep trying to do this,- especially when I'm moving a track a long way from its original location.
Is there any way this could be implemented on a future release?

Thank you
Hi!

This thread might help with your workflow. This shows available shortcuts. Let me know if you're still unable to do your preferred workflow.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417792

Thank you!

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 03-20-2024, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Feature Request: Order tracks by dragging from the Edit Window to the Track Pane?

Thanks, but that discussion seems only related to moving clips in the Edit Window
Old 03-20-2024, 07:41 AM

Can you clarify what you mean by “Track Pane”? Tracks can be moved around using various methods. Mix Window, Edit Window, Track List Window. Click and drag to arrange.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:04 AM

You can just click and drag them now to re-order. What's the obstacle?

You can do it either in the timeline or in the track list pane.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:16 AM

I think I understand the idea here and it could be useful.

For example, let’s say you have a session with 500 tracks and you want to move track #500 somewhere near the top.

If your track list (upper left, above the groups list) is scrolled near where you want to order that track, you could just drag from the edit window over to that.

The alternative, and the way it is currently, is to click and drag within the edit window until the window scrolls to the spot where you want to drop the track.

The current way works, but I like the feature suggestion because it could be quicker and more precise in certain situations. When dragging a track very far you do need to wait a few moments while the edit window scrolls up, not to mention that sometimes you overshoot if you try and scroll quickly.

Am I getting the idea right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM

If you do have a lot of tracks - you can use a scroll wheel while you're moving the track(s) in the track list pane. Helps a bit.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:46 AM

Yes, sorry for the lack of clarification.

I think I already understand how to use the existing methods.

By Track pane, yes I do mean the left-hand side list of tracks.

By being able to reorder tracks by dragging a track from the track title itself, to this list would save a lot of mouse wheeling in certain situations.