Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Default Listen to this distortion

Please have a listen to this CLIP. The word is "lifestyle" and on the second syllable (...style) you'll hear this weird distortion. Looking at the waveform you'll see it's irregular. This is happening randomly on many projects, not often, but often enough. What do you think is the problem? The vocal chain is a U87 into a Neve 1089 (EQ is bypassed) into interface MOTU 24I/O, into PT. Lots of headroom - no where near clipping.

Driving me nuts!
Holt Remembers - Meetings With The Remarkable

Windows 7x64 SP1, AMD Quad Core A8-3870 APU 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6550D
Pro Tools 10.3.2, RME Fireface UC, MOTU 24 I/O, BLA Micro Clock Mk2, Soundcraft Ghost, DA-88 (3) Digital 24 Track TC
Outboard: Neve, API , Manley, Phoenix Audio, Teletronix, Drawmer, Universal Audio, Alan Smart , DBX, T.C. Electronics
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Listen to this distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by innermusic View Post
Please have a listen to this CLIP. The word is "lifestyle" and on the second syllable (...style) you'll hear this weird distortion. Looking at the waveform you'll see it's irregular. This is happening randomly on many projects, not often, but often enough. What do you think is the problem? The vocal chain is a U87 into a Neve 1089 (EQ is bypassed) into interface MOTU 24I/O, into PT. Lots of headroom - no where near clipping.

Driving me nuts!
Are you using elastic audio?

Wave-T.com
Old 04-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Are you using elastic audio?
Nope.

Windows 7x64 SP1, AMD Quad Core A8-3870 APU 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6550D
Pro Tools 10.3.2, RME Fireface UC, MOTU 24 I/O, BLA Micro Clock Mk2, Soundcraft Ghost, DA-88 (3) Digital 24 Track TC
Outboard: Neve, API , Manley, Phoenix Audio, Teletronix, Drawmer, Universal Audio, Alan Smart , DBX, T.C. Electronics
Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 PM

It does sound like stretched elastic audio ... If that's not going through a plugin (thinking dithering) then maybe a clock problem?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Is it just with this Girls voice??? Pronunciation???? Phlegm???
Old 04-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
It does sound like stretched elastic audio ... If that's not going through a plugin (thinking dithering) then maybe a clock problem?
That was my other thought too.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Hard to tell but it sounds similar to what I get when I insert a convolutional reverb with a very long response tail.
Regardless of other system loading PT will sometimes put up the "running of processor" warning, but will often sound like your clip or play with decreased speed.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Not a performance issue, as it’s been happening with various performers.
Sounds digital, doesn’t it?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBus View Post
Is it just with this Girls voice??? Pronunciation???? Phlegm???
After listening my wife and I agree it sounds like phlegm. But I've had weird sounds like this when using a buffer size to low with plugs that cause CPU spikes. It won't throw an error, just add digital artifacts to the sound.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
After listening my wife and I agree it sounds like phlegm. But I've had weird sounds like this when using a buffer size to low with plugs that cause CPU spikes. It won't throw an error, just add digital artifacts to the sound.
To me, it sounds digital. To isolate the problem, isolate each step. For instance, starting today, record all audio tracks cleanly--no plugins at all. Then route your audio tracks to aux tracks with your intended plugins.

Diagnosing intermittent problems is always a huge pita. But, if it's a clocking problem, your clean audio tracks will distort, ahem, intermittently. If that happens, change your interface/clock and maybe problem solved. I agree, this type of distortion is very annoying.

Also, even though it sounds digital to me, I wouldn't neglect checking connections in particular--mic to cable, cable to cable, cable to interface, etc.

Anyhow, +1 for digital distortion, -1 for raspy throat, and a big maybe for hardware connectivity.

Let us know when you nail it down!

TIm