Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Acoustic and Vocal Method Question for Beginner

Well I've actually been recording for a long time, but just very amateur/personal use stuff. So here's my pretty broad question...how do I make my recordings sound a lot better while sticking with simple mixes?

Not heavy stuff, just an acoustic and vocal track. I've tried layering tracks and endless tweaking just to get those 2 tracks to sound great but I can't It seems to me that if I use just 2 tracks without endless plugs, layering, and EQ tweaking that I should still be able to get a recording that has more presence than when I was using a $30 mic into my computer's line in. My recordings are cleaner but seem dead. I'm using an AT3035 cardoid straight into my MBox in my bedroom/living room. I know that's not good but where do I go from here to improve my sound?

So here's some more specific questions I've been looking for answers for...

Why even when peaking are the recordings quieter than CDs?
Is it mixing or can the quality I'm seeking not be done with my equipment?
Even with just 2 simple tracks do I need to do intense mixing to get a good sound on them?
If it's equipment then where does my biggest problem lie? Compressors, mic, pres, room?
Record mono or stereo?

Any couple of thoughts would be really helpful. Recording quality has been driving me nuts for ages.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Acoustic and Vocal Method Question for Beginner

Why even when peaking are the recordings quieter than CDs?
Because in mastering, they usually slam it with a mastering limiter. This makes the mix louder for sure but is it better? Subjective isn't it? Best advice here is to send your stuff to a mastering engineer as it is an art/science unto itself, plus its good to have some fresh ears (i.e. not your own).

Is it mixing or can the quality I'm seeking not be done with my equipment?
Yes and no. You have many things to consider. The talent(sorry but it matters), the acoustics of the room which may affect your sound, the quality of the instrument(your guitar) or voice, the choice of mic and placement. While I like the 3035, it may not be a good choice for your voice. Maybe you need to try different placement when recording guitar. You need to get good sounding raw tracks before mixing. Mixing should be where you put the frosting on the nice cake vs. trying to hide the cake. Does that make sense?

Even with just 2 simple tracks do I need to do intense mixing to get a good sound on them?
See above-get it to sound good going in.

If it's equipment then where does my biggest problem lie? Compressors, mic, pres, room?
Record mono or stereo?
Compressors are handy for smoothing out a performance(removing peakyness). I would try recording your guitar in stereo or in mono with 2 different mics, then experiment with panning those 2 tracks to add some "air" to the sound. Use gobos to help eliminate the room from affecting your recording (even hang a moving blanket on the ceiling as that surface reflects just as much as a wall). Once it sounds better going in (unprocessed), then start experimenting with EQ. The quickest way is to insert an EQ, set a band for fairly narrow Q, push it to +9, sweep the frequency while you solo a track. When you hear REALLY UGLY, place an EQ dip on that spot. Repeat as needed. What you are going for here is reducing ugly frequncies instead of boosting. This is a great start as this technique doesn't boost noise and doesn't risk clipping(it does while you are sweeping with the big boost, but once you cut the bad frequencies, just click to reset the clip indicator). After you dip the bad, you may still need to make boosts here and there but they should be gentle(unless you are looking for an un-natural effect).

Maybe there is a local studio where you could do a little internship(i.e. sweep the floors, go get coffee, watch, listen. learn...). Post a link to an MP3 of your stuff and we can maybe get more specific.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2005, 06:35 PM

These are issues I am working with as well. I am getting decent tracks eq-wise but did not even know we could affect the signal going IN on a recording by using the insert--thought that was only what we heard played back...so I am mistaken?

I am recording acoustic guitar and can do a fairly nice line - in but am liking the mic track more...except that I tend to record a lot of string noise, shuffling of the guit as I play it (I am standing pretty darn still, tho) and I have tried not to place the mic near the fretboard. It's mostly chording, with strum, finger picking and some single notes for simple leads. I tried fret ease in the past but it didn't make so much difference. Though someone might have a better way of getting a better track. Iplay pretty decently although I guess there are studio players who play very clean. I will try a closer, less hot mic tomorrow, but maybe eq going into the recording track or what else? I have set up the room so that there is very little air noise (blankets, rugs). I am working with a decent mic ksm 32. pt6.7 mbox (1). any insights from anyone will be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Acoustic and Vocal Method Question for Beginne

Quote:
shuffling of the guit as I play it (I am standing pretty darn still, tho) and I have tried not to place the mic near the fretboard.
try sitting down to record? you won't move nearly as much that way.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:56 PM

Thanks a lot! I'll give it all a try and see if it helps and I guess I'll just 'turn up the volume' if I want to hear the tacks on the same level. I just got so fed up messing with mixing, limiting, compressing, and having very marginal results that it's nice to know I shouldn't be relying on them too heavily. Instead I'll rent a bunch of mics and try moving to different rooms to record.