Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2021, 12:00 PM

Default Re: How can I change the default track routing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Problem is it's only on a per-session basis. Doesn't carry over to another or new session.
Whatever . . . it works here and is persistent when creating new empty sessions. If I/O Setup wasn't persistent it would be pretty much useless. Later gents.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 02-19-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Problem is it's only on a per-session basis. Doesn't carry over to another or new session.
Actually I have experienced it carrying over but only for new blank sessions (I am assuming meaning sessions that have not previously been "saved" with the old default (Stereo Mon) in my case). So for example any new session created from one of my old templates 9that were saved as templates with the old routing , still has the shows the prior routing as the "default" , as well as any of my prior recorded sessions.

I do think I show opening a new blank session in my linked YouTub demo.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-19-2021, 11:01 AM

The implementation of the Default Output Bus Selector in Pro Tools is really confusing, but it works. Here is an attempt to explain it:

Terminology
First, you have to be clear on the terminology, not to add even more confusion:
  • Input Path: An Input Path is the routing path representing a physical input of your audio interface
  • Output Path: An Output Path is the routing path representing a physical output of your audio interface
  • Bus Path: Warning, there are two types of Bus Paths, the Internal Bus Paths and the Output Bus Paths.
  • Internal Bus Path: This is a Bus Path that corresponds to internal audio busses that are not related to any physical input/output of you audio interface
  • Output Bus Path: This is a routing Bus Path that is routed to an Output Path that represents a physical output of your audio interface
  • Input Selector: The Input Selector on a Track lets you select either an Input Path ("interface") or an Internal Bus Path ("bus")
  • Output Selector: The Output Selector on a Track (and also the Send Selector) lets you select Output Bus Paths ("output") and Internal Bus Paths ("bus")
  • Output Path Selector: Sometimes you see the term "Output Path Selector" used instead of "Output Selector". This is misleading because you do not select an "Output Path" (directly), and instead, either the Output Bus Path or Internal Bus Path.

Now to the Default Output Bus
  • Remember what the term "Bus Path" means, an Internal Bus Path or an Output Bus Path.
  • The Default Output Bus Selector on the Bus Page of the I/O Setup Dialog determines what Path is selected for the Output Selector on a newly created Track.
  • This single selector lets you make up to 18 selections!
  • The Selector lets you determine the selection on the Output Selector individually for each of the 18 Track Formats. (Mono, Ster, LCR, LCRS, .....)
  • When you create, for example, an Audio Track with a channel width of Stereo, then the Output Selector of that new Track is set to the Path that is select in this Default Output Bus Selector for Stereo.
  • When you create, for example, an Audio Track with a channel width of 5.1, then the Output Selector of that new Track is set to the Path that is select in the Default Output Bus Selector for 5.1.
  • Remember, the Output Selector of a Track can be set to any of the available Internal Bus Paths and/or Output Bus Paths.
  • When you click on the Default Output Bus Selector, then the popup menu shows all the available Path Formats.
  • A Path Format is grayed out on the menu if a Bus Path for that channel width has not been created in the I/O Setup Dialog.
  • The display on the Default Output Bus Selector is messed up. Remember, this selector does not make one selection, it can choose up to 18 selections, the default for each Path Format. However, the selector itself only shows the first Bus Path and then the ... if there are more selections made (even if there is space to display at least two more).
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 02-19-2021, 12:27 PM

Now, that's what I call a comprehensive summary, Edgar!
I can find nothing wrong with it.

The last bullet point is the point though, and I agree, and said it before, output default settings seems to work, even though the display info is faulty.

I wonder, can you set the default output bus to more than one destination like you can with track output selectors, with modifyer key. I can check myself later.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I wonder, can you set the default output bus to more than one destination like you can with track output selectors, with modifyer key. I can check myself later.
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be possible (great idea though)

I used the ctr+opt+clickwhen selecting another Path from the menu like with assigning multiple Paths on a Track, but it keeps only the last selected Path.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/