Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2023, 07:53 PM

Default Guitar keeps cutting out

Hi, I have a question, and I am new to ProTools. When I am playing my guitar through ProTools, it randomly cuts out, and then comes back on after a second or two, when I am playing or recording. It never did this with my old DAW(Logic).

This is what I am using:
Mac OS Monterey 12.0.01
Macbook Air M1
M Audio Air 2
ProTools Artist 10.0 2022
Guitar plug in - ML Sound Amped Icon

Any ideas as to whats causing this? I have checked all of the cable connections.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Guitar keeps cutting out

By cut out you mean the sound you are hearing through the amp sim plugin you have on the track while you play or record? Does the track meter move even if you cannot hear anything? If you look at the waveform recorded (zoom in vertically on the waveform) on that track do you see a continuious signal with things happening even if you could not hear them when recording or playing back?

Two good suspect causes to start with are:

Plugin licensing, some plugins will interrupt the audio if not properly licensed/in demo mode. I have no idea what the product you are using does. Even if you have a license it might not be installed correctly. In which case you will see a continuous signal recorded on the audio track even when you don't hear things. if in doubt test with the Sansamp or Eleven Mk II plugin that should be included with your Pro Tools subscription.

The guitar pickups or cabling or connection to the interface have an intermittent problem. In which case you will see abrupt jumps/disconnects in the recorded waveform. Yes even if it just worked somewhere else, it might have one fragile thing you touched. If so try wiggling cables and knobs/switches on the guitar. If it has an active pickup or powered effects make sure the battery is good and making reliable connection, try tapping on the pickups, maybe with something metalic like a screwdriver... do you see/hear that?
Old 01-01-2023, 09:29 PM

Thanks, when it cuts out the meter goes to zero as if the entire signal cuts out. And it doesn't jump as if a cabling issue.

I will check again with the plug-in, and look into the other issues.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:32 PM

Look at the waveform in the Edit Window... vertically zoomed in since it is a low level guitar signal... that waveform is pre-plugin, the track meter shows you the level post-plugin (always post-plugin but maybe pre- or post-fader depending on what meter mode you have set).