Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2018, 05:22 PM

Default Re: HDX 192 "-10" analog inputs - ok for use 'alternate +4 inputs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yeah the OP has an impressive resume to say the least....Deja Vϊ, I still have that vinyl and it still rocks.

As far as getting out more, will you put me up once I hit Heathrow?
I’ll put you up in my waterfront guesthouse next to the studio when you hit Arlanda

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-08-2018, 10:57 PM

The -10 inputs are balanced so I would assume that you'd be okay. Just calibrate them to see the output of the machine that you will be using.

Steve
Old 12-09-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
The -10 inputs are balanced so I would assume that you'd be okay. Just calibrate them to see the output of the machine that you will be using.

Steve
Balanced was not really the question, everybody here knows they are balanced. But do you know if the -10dbV input calibration trims have enough dynamic range to adjust to +4 dBu inputs? That's really the question.

Oh man are we going around in circles. The OP was trying to get to wether he could adjust those inputs to a suitable level. That is not obvious anywhere in any doc. He asked it in a round about way by asking how the circuit is implemented (it's implemented how anybody sensibly would and is obvious from looking at the board, that the -10 dbV and +4 dBu input front ends buffers are different) and so that *still* leaves the question of whether there is enough adjustment in the -10 dBV input trims to accept input from a nominal +4 dBu device. Thats ~12dB difference. I have never measured the input calibration trim dynamic range on a 192 IO, but if I had one sitting in front of me it's a minute or so with a screwdriver, jumper cable, and signal gen plug in to answer that question.

I'd be surprised a bit if the adjustment is ~12dB or larger given you want temperature and mechanical stability in the 10 turn pot and small fraction of a dB resolution. But hey, again I think we are back to if ya got one on in the rack just go measure it/try it. (I really wish I had one with me, I'd just measure this and be done :-O)

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-09-2018 at 11:34 AM.