Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 01:51 PM

Default Imported instrument track out of sync with session

Hi - My bandmate has recorded a PT stereo instrument track (piano) and sent it to me to import into the session we've been working on. It was recorded perfectly in tempo etc., but when I import it into the session in the usual way ("import session data" etc), it's way out of sync with the other instrument and audio tracks, even when I try to align it as accurately as possible. It seems likely that I'm missing something important as regards tempo/sync/sample rate? Not sure! Any advice/thoughts? Thanks!
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 14.1 (Sonoma), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 03-07-2024, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Imported instrument track out of sync with session

Hmmm, exactly what was sent to you? In this scenario, assuming both parties are using Pro Tools, I would send a session folder with any tracks needed. Then the person on the receiving end has 2 options; 1-open the session and work from that, or 2-open the session you have and use Import Session Data to bring in the track(s) from what was sent. Since there are several ways to share data, we need to know exactly how it was shared to help figure out where things went wrong Some possibilities:
1-non-matching tempo
2-non-matching sample rate(not sure if this would matter with midi)
3-timeline not matching between the 2 setups
4-not sure, but I would guess there are other ways for things to go wrong

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-07-2024, 05:14 PM

Thanks Dave, yes, we're both using PT. We work together on the main session in my home studio, bounce the session down, then my bandmate takes the bounced session home and records the piano track on her PT setup, then sends the session (the bounced session plus the new piano instrument midi track) to me, which is what I then import into our main PT session, using Import Session Data.
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 14.1 (Sonoma), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 03-07-2024, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Thanks Dave, yes, we're both using PT. We work together on the main session in my home studio, bounce the session down, then my bandmate takes the bounced session home and records the piano track on her PT setup, then sends the session (the bounced session plus the new piano instrument midi track) to me, which is what I then import into our main PT session, using Import Session Data.
To what format are the bounces made? WAV or AIFF one would presume. Not a compressed format?
Old 03-07-2024, 05:26 PM

Bounces are to WAV and/or AIFF, yes.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briaboy View Post
Do you bounce from the start of the song, or from 00:00:000 (start of the timeline)? When collaborating, you should bounce from zero(the far left).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-08-2024, 12:29 PM

Thanks, From zero, yes.....I think it may be a recording tempo issue...working on it....!