Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 AM

Default Mbox Mini, Lynx Aurora & PT9

HI This question is in 3 parts, (I am just at the beginning with all this...not a problem that just happened).
First let me explain my setup:

Macbook pro 13" laptop w/ PT 9.0 (os 10.6.8)
Lynx Aurora 16 with LT FW card
Mbox mini (used for location recording)
Glyph external hard drive

1st Question:
I cannot get PT9 to recognize my Mbox mini properly, despite the fact that I can see & select the Mbox mini in the 'sound' section of my system preferences.

I say properly because it seems to recognize just the mic 1 & mic 2 inputs, but all the rest are in italics. It will not recognize any outputs ( all are in italics & i cannot monitor at all thru the headphones or main outs)

Also interestingly even though i have selected the mbox mini in the sound preferences panel for in/out, when i engage the record button on mic 1 & 2 it is reading from the inbuilt mic on the laptop (simultaneously with the inputs on back of the mbox mini)

2nd Question:
I also cannot get PT to recognize my Lynx Aurora 16 despite the fact that I can see & select the Lynx in the 'sound' section of my system preferences.

I am using all 16 analog in & outs on the Aurora (not the AES ports) which feed to the in/outs on my 16 channel mixing desk.

When i fire up Pro Tools I cannot get it to either input or output audio, despite the fact that I can see & select the Lynx in the 'sound' section of my system preferences.

If someone familiar with this can walk me through the setup including what to select on the front panel of the aurora I'd really appreciate it.

3rd Question: Regarding the plugins which came with my Mbox Mini ( the model which shipped with PT9 software - ultra compact 2x2 PT studio bundle) I am getting a list of plugins which i dont seem to be able to authorize via my ilok & i wonder if this is because they arent included, or its just something i am doing wrong? I have included a list of the plugins which will not authorize, can anyone say if these are included with my Mini or not?
Its asking me if i want to move them to the plugins (unused) folder..

Bombfactory BF-2a.dpm
Bombfactory BF-3a.dpm
Cosmonautvoice.dpm
Fairchild660.dpm
Fairchild670.dpm
JOEMEEKcompressor.dpm
JOEMEEKmeequalizer.dpm
MoogerfoogerAD.dpm
MoogerfoogerLP.dpm
MoogerfoogerPh.dpm
MoogerfoogerRM.dpm
PurpleAudioMC77.dpm
SoundReplacer.dpm
Tel-RayDelay.dpm
TLEveryPhase.dpm
Voce Chorus_Vibrato.dpm

THANKS..!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Mbox Mini, Lynx Aurora & PT9

1st Question:
I cannot get PT9 to recognize my Mbox mini properly, despite the fact that I can see & select the Mbox mini in the 'sound' section of my system preferences.

I say properly because it seems to recognize just the mic 1 & mic 2 inputs, but all the rest are in italics. It will not recognize any outputs ( all are in italics & i cannot monitor at all thru the headphones or main outs)

Also interestingly even though i have selected the mbox mini in the sound preferences panel for in/out, when i engage the record button on mic 1 & 2 it is reading from the inbuilt mic on the laptop (simultaneously with the inputs on back of the mbox mini)

The Mbox mini only has two inputs and no options for expansion. You configure the Pro Tools playback engine (interface/Hardware) in Pro Tools. The mac system prefs for sound are for the OS, audio apps always tend to have their own audio settings independent of the main OS settings.

2nd Question:
I also cannot get PT to recognize my Lynx Aurora 16 despite the fact that I can see & select the Lynx in the 'sound' section of my system preferences.

I am using all 16 analog in & outs on the Aurora (not the AES ports) which feed to the in/outs on my 16 channel mixing desk.

When i fire up Pro Tools I cannot get it to either input or output audio, despite the fact that I can see & select the Lynx in the 'sound' section of my system preferences.

If someone familiar with this can walk me through the setup including what to select on the front panel of the aurora I'd really appreciate it.

You can only select one interface in Pro Tools the rest of the inputs need to be added on using additional connectivity which the Mbox mini doesn't support. You need to be selecting the Aurora as the Pro Tools playback engine (Hold N during launch), you cannot run both interfaces together, you may be able to aggregate them but the Mbox will likely blow compared to a Aurora. Perhaps your thinking about the old Avid hardware dependency. This ceased in Pro Tools 9, from hereon use any interface you like.

3rd Question: Regarding the plugins which came with my Mbox Mini ( the model which shipped with PT9 software - ultra compact 2x2 PT studio bundle) I am getting a list of plugins which i dont seem to be able to authorize via my ilok & i wonder if this is because they arent included, or its just something i am doing wrong? I have included a list of the plugins which will not authorize, can anyone say if these are included with my Mini or not?
Its asking me if i want to move them to the plugins (unused) folder..

Bombfactory BF-2a.dpm
Bombfactory BF-3a.dpm
Cosmonautvoice.dpm
Fairchild660.dpm
Fairchild670.dpm
JOEMEEKcompressor.dpm
JOEMEEKmeequalizer.dpm
MoogerfoogerAD.dpm
MoogerfoogerLP.dpm
MoogerfoogerPh.dpm
MoogerfoogerRM.dpm
PurpleAudioMC77.dpm
SoundReplacer.dpm
Tel-RayDelay.dpm
TLEveryPhase.dpm
Voce Chorus_Vibrato.dpm

This is understandingly confusing, they may have been in a folder called producer or factory bundle on your CD but the bottom line is these aren't free plugins, they may have been included with specific Pro Tools bundles such as factory. If your Pro Tools system didn't include these plugins and the green ilok key to run them the likelihood is that you dont have the licenses to run it. You kind of have to know this for yourself.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
The Mbox mini only has two inputs and no options for expansion. You configure the Pro Tools playback engine (interface/Hardware) in Pro Tools. The mac system prefs for sound are for the OS, audio apps always tend to have their own audio settings independent of the main OS settings.
Ok understood, but i did try going into pro tools & under the setup dropdown i chose hardware & tried to set the mbox there as my choice but still got no love.. Perhaps i have to use this holding down n button on launch instead?

Quote:
You can only select one interface in Pro Tools the rest of the inputs need to be added on using additional connectivity which the Mbox mini doesn't support. You need to be selecting the Aurora as the Pro Tools playback engine (Hold N during launch), you cannot run both interfaces together, you may be able to aggregate them but the Mbox will likely blow compared to a Aurora. Perhaps your thinking about the old Avid hardware dependency. This ceased in Pro Tools 9, from hereon use any interface you like
I should have explained clearer, I am not trying to use them at the same time. I just bought an mbox for location recording. When im in the studio the Aurora is it & I am on PT9 beacuse it allows other interfaces.. So if i hold down N on launch this should work..? I'll try.. Would i also try the setup/hardware dropdown & try to test the channels in there etc etc..?

thanks again for the info on the plugins, i assumed they were not active but it was difficult to tell..
Old 08-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Can you clarify no love?

You go to the playback engine select Mbox 2 and you get no audio out of the Mbox during playback, are the outputs of the tracks set to analogue 1-2, are you actually connecting cans etc to the Mbox and not your mac?

If you switch interfaces it's often necessary to go in to the i/o tab and press default under input and output. Pro Tools doesn't do a good job of keeping tracks of changes in interface and the i/o can get messy.

Holding down N during launch only provides you with the same playback engine windows as going in manually through he menus. As you are on the LE forum are you jumping between 8 and 9, Pro Tools 9 doesn't include the driver by default so it is necessary to download it here.

Just in case, the Pro Tools aggregate driver has nothing to do with the MBox, this allows the mac audio hardware to be used within Pro Tools.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM

No love means not working.

I am definitely using the cans out of the Mbox not the mac.

I have had some success now by holding down N on startup. I think because i am switching usage between my Lynx Aurora in the studio & the Mbox at home it is necessary to do this on startup so that pro tools sees the change of hardware..?

Is it possible to indicate that change in the i/o drop down instead of holding down N on startup?

thanks