Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Importing audio files for remix - convert or set session to match source audio?

I always work in 24bit 44.1K for my remixes. I have yet to do a remix at 48K or higher. I dont find any loss of quality since my remix sound files are usually at 44.1K to begin with.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 09-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Importing audio files for remix - convert or set session to match source audio?

Going though my old threads - I sure missed out on some interesting discussion beyond the answer to my question!

I have been a victim of the bigger is better mentality. I once tried to start a session at 96K but it was clear from the start that my hardware wouldn't be able to keep up, so that was that.

The history of all this is fascinating. I remember the first time I heard a CD in a local record store. Everyone was so amazed at the no crackle, pops or tape his, we all missed how dismally "thin" those early CDs sounded.

So why was that that "digital" and "thin" were synonymous? I still don't know, from a technological standpoint at least, what "thin" really means - you just know it when you hear it I guess. ANd I still don't get why, when the two specs that define a sound card/coverter - bit depth and sampling rate - are always at least 24/44.1 yet different devices do sound better. From a computer sound card, to a $100 USB interface to a - whatever - there's a quality difference for sure - yet they all claim the same specs!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Analog line stages sound different and under-powered ones sound thin and strident unless you stay away from the top 10 dB of level.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:07 AM

Is/was the same on cheap mixer.

Darryl Ramm
Old 09-09-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundcontrol View Post
Is/was the same on cheap mixer.
Exactly!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The 44.1 KHz is as you know the CD Red Book standard so that's the only reason it really exists. But exactly why that specific number was chosen I have no idea. I know that the electronics in use at the time it was developed may have had something to do with it as well as upper limits of human hearing, but still..........
I think that the reason the frequency 44.1 kHz was chosen has something to do with the Nyquist sampling theorem. It states (roughly) that in sampling an analog signal, in order to be able to reproduce a frequency of, say 20 kHz, you need to sample at least at the rate of 40 kHz. So, in that context, if you believe that people can hear from 20 hz -20 khz (at least young people can), it makes sense. While heaven knows why the exact rate of 44.1 kHz was chosen, it does provide a reasonable pad above the 40 kHz needed to reproduce frequencies up to 20 kHz. I'm sure that the engineers in the 1970s knew all about the Nyquist theorem. They used to teach math in the last century. We are much more advanced now.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:45 PM

The reason 44.1 was chosen is because it was used by Sony's technology for recording digital audio on video tape. This was adapted for use with an existing Philips video disk that could be pressed in a vinyl plant. To do Nyquist properly with real world filters required a sample rate between 50kHz. and 60kHz.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The reason 44.1 was chosen is because it was used by Sony's technology for recording digital audio on video tape. This was adapted for use with an existing Philips video disk that could be pressed in a vinyl plant. To do Nyquist properly with real world filters required a sample rate between 50kHz. and 60kHz.
Bob,

Does that mean that CD (44.1) quality cannot reproduce frequencies up to 20 kHz? (if one believes Nyquist)
Old 09-09-2014, 08:12 PM

My understanding is not transparently. Nyquist calls for a minimum sample rate of 40kHz. however that assumes perfect filters which don't exist in the real world. It's an argument about what can be gotten away with subjectively until you get up to 50 or 60 k.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
My understanding is not transparently. Nyquist calls for a minimum sample rate of 40kHz. however that assumes perfect filters which don't exist in the real world. It's an argument about what can be gotten away with subjectively until you get up to 50 or 60 k.
Bob,

That sounds like a good reason to do sessions in at least 48 kHz, as far as recording audio goes.