How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 10:16 AM

Default Working on both Mac & Windows

Hi guys, got a question about working on both platforms

I have 2 001s, 1 at home on a Windows PC, and another at the office on a G4 460Mhz (both work fine - thank goodness). I hope to bring projects back home to work on them (trim, add fx, EQ and basically get a rough mix going), and take the project back into the office for the final mix. The plan involves transfering the files via CDRW

Am I in trouble here? Any tips & tricks about saving the projects onto disk for constant loading/ saving/ reloading between the 2 platforms?

Cheers from Singapore

Leslie
[email protected]
Old 10-05-2001, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Working on both Mac & Windows

Guess nobody's doing this just yet

Oh well, time to experiment. I'll post up the results in the hope that it will benefit somebody

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2001, 09:01 PM

I haven't done exactly what you want (I only have one 001 system), but it SHOULD work if you use the Joliet format. It keeps long filenames and can be read on both Mac and PC. I haven't tried it with PT files, tho'. The ISO format makes everything an eight dot three format.

I wouldn't bother with CDRW. It's cheaper for me to just toss the disc when I'm done rather than have to go through the process of erasing the CDRW before I can use it again. CDR's are only $.30 or less each any more.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it and post the results. Working across platforms has thus far proven to be a real hassle!
Old 10-06-2001, 08:45 AM

I thought of another possibility:

Try Retrospect. There are both PC and Mac versions available for about $50 each. Retrospect will allow you to span CDRs if you run over the capacity of a single CDR.

It might be worth an email to their sales dept to see if the PC format can read the Mac format. If it works, it would be a pretty good solution.

Try www.dantz.com

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-06-2001, 11:29 AM

I have this problem too. I use Direct CD to burn pc CDRW and apples own software to burn on the mac.
I find i can't save to the other platforms discs but I can read them. I therefor use a 2 disc system to exchange files.