Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 11:08 PM

Default keeping my keyboard and Guitars in tune

I have a problem with knowing which of the two to trust. Do I trust my keyboard middle c for tuning or do I trust both of my individual guitar tuners which seem to be in sync with each other?
I have a Roland xp30 that I reset the factory settings so I would think that it would have to be the same as my tuners but it is still not. I can hear it slightly flanging out of tune. I can't remember it sharper or flater, but it is enough that I have to choose one way or the other. which do I go with? Can someone help me solve this.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:16 AM

Default Re: keeping my keyboard and Guitars in tune

On your Roland, go to the Utility or Global or whatever-they-call-it page, and check to make sure that the tuning is set to 440. In some other countries, tuning ranges + or - 2 to 4 Hz!!
I think that once your keyboard is set, I would trust IT over a guitar tuner. (Unless that guitar tuner happens to be a $250 or more unit)
Guitar tuners are notoriously inaccurate! I've only just recently convinced the other guitar player in my band to buy a new tuner. His was a FULL 4 Hz higher than mine. (And mine's a REALLY good one... as accurate as a strobe tuner)

Side Note: The best thing that you can do for your guitars, and their intonation, is get an Earvana nut. (www.earvana.com)
I've put one on all of my guitars and it's an amazing product!! (And CHEAP... it'll cost about $40 installed!!)
By adjusting string length at the saddles, you are compensating for various degrees of tension on each string. Those adjustments keep you from "bending" the string sharp when you fret a note.
However, the saddles only adjust in FRONT OF your fretting finger. It doesn't account for any stretching that's going on BEHIND your fretting finger.
The Earvana has a preformed shape which varies the string lengths based on standard tensions. This allows for compensation at the nut and the bridge.
Example: If you play an open G chord, and it's in tune... I'll bet a nickel that an open E chord will NOT be in tune.
The stretching that happens when you fret the G# on the first fret always bends it sharp.
Earvana will compensate for this.

good luck