Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2001, 06:17 PM

Default Digi001 NEEDS IMPROVEMENTS!

Hey...look around. The 001 product is not looking good in comparison to what is availavble in the home studio market.

Powerful Laptops have come way down in price . Hardware/software has become more powerful and eveyone has hardware for laptops now. G5 computers are coming out in January.

Digidesign is left in the dust. Everyone I know is getting rid of their 001 and switching to products that work with Powerbooks. It's the way things are now.

Digi will be forced to come out with a new product or lose their market all together come January becuase Apple G5 computers won't support Digidesign hardware.
Old 10-21-2001, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Digi001 NEEDS IMPROVEMENTS!

You can use the Digi001 with a Powerbook, simply get an expansion chassis. No offense but if we're talking about home studio markets here, why do notebook computers come into the picture? It's cheaper to go with a desktop and more powerful and besides, PCI still offers far greater bandwidth than Firewire.
Old 10-21-2001, 09:55 PM

I agree Brad. I'd also like to see an upgraded 001 with some more features, but Firewire and the need to carry it around isn't really one of them.

For all you married guys - mobile ProTools could easily ice that divorce. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2001, 10:05 PM

It's ridiculous that such a system has to function soley on one computer.

More people own laptops than desktops now and that is fact.

Apple makes several different computers and the thing they all have in common is firewire and USB conectivity.

These are standards now and should be addressed by Digidesign. PCI interfacing is a thing of the past and as soon as the G5 comes out with USB 2 everything will change.

Watch and see.

Don't listen to Brad Lyons...he works for Sweetwater and is alwyas trying to sell sell sell product!

The truth is that the Digi001 will inevitably be discontinued in the not too distant future and everyone who has invested in it fears that.

Come on people. It's time to advance with technology. The 001 is not cutting it as a product of it's price range. Neither are the TDM systems! Not for thatr kind of money.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:06 PM

By the way what is the $ amount can you spend on a program and audio card that has the same or around the protools 001 has to offer and for the price of the 001, I think that the 001 is a great deal for the money .
For there frist lowend rig they did a job that i can afford . I knew of protools when they where out of reach of the every day home studio person (001 great job)
Old 10-21-2001, 10:43 PM

Like it or not, ProTools is king. Everyone knows about it, most people use it, and those who don't use it would probably like to. I think they've got us where they want us. I started on ProTools, I've already made two upgrade transitions-and I'm just gettin' started!

Hey, I'm very loyal to Digidesign, ProTools, Glyph ... good reliable products. And most of the people I know use ProTools, so the compatability is awesome. As every big studio fears, we are learning how to record, collaborating with eachother, getting fantastic results, breaking the rules and breaking the mold. And ProTools is right there in the thick of it. At the same time, they're in the big studios, allowing amazing things to happen, for instance bridging the gap between the 5000 dollar a day studio and the 5000 dollar home studio.

But even I went out and purchased Deck and I've started researching USB devices. I'm sure they have their reasons for waiting out or maybe even avoiding the laptop issue. Digidesign won't lose my business because they don't have a workable laptop solution, they're just missing out on some of my dollars that will go elsewhere.
Old 10-21-2001, 11:08 PM

...which reminds me:

I'd rather get a usb or firewire device from a company that focuses on usb or firewire, than get something that digi hurriedly cranked out in hopes of netting those dollars...just blabbing..
Old 10-21-2001, 11:39 PM

For me... The 001 imposes NO creative limitations what so ever.

Until the consumer CD standard goes beyond 24 bit resolution, were still ahead of the game IMHO.

The bottom line.
Good sound and compositions win over USB2, Firewire, G5, PCI, bandwidth, bla bla bla bla...

dk
Old 10-21-2001, 11:46 PM

I agree with Bob Lyons. HE does work for sweetwater but he knows what the heck is going on. They do Have a little expansion for the 001 that hooks right up to LAptops. But the hell with Laptops Id rather have a nice fat reliable tower. Like it or not thats what pros use. You dont hear them crying.
Old 10-21-2001, 11:51 PM

By the way. The reason you should go with Protools softwatre is so you can take your session to another studio and get it remastered. If you have Protools LE you can open it in the high end of Protools Mix24.