Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2000, 08:13 PM

Default Burning CD - Need options

What options are there for cd burning? We have the MLCD and the SCSI CDRW option.
You have the G4, Digi001, PTLE and it works fine. Now what?? Toast and USB Sony Spressa?

Thank you for responding! I know there are a few other topics related to this.
Old 04-10-2000, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Burning CD - Need options

What other packages do a Red Book compatible CD besides MLCD? Waveburner? Has anyone done MLCD with a USB CDRW?

Old 04-11-2000, 01:29 PM

I heard USB wasn't an option for audio CD burning, although a lot of users seem to report no problems situations...

Isn't toast burning Red Book compliant CDs? I'm lost here....

6am eternal
Old 04-11-2000, 03:12 PM

If you want to edit pq codes and adjust relative levels between the tracks (and do crossfades), the only options I'm aware of are Jam, Waveburner, and MLCD. I don't think any of them support USB (or firewire) at this point.

Toast 4.0 supports a few USB burners (like the Sony you mention), but it only has partial Red Book capabilities. You'll probably want a copy just to do CD-ROM backups, however. You can use Toast for real simple demo CDRs using the Disk-at-Once mode. It's just pretty limited.

Unless I'm mistaken, SCSI seems to be the only way to burn Red Book audio CDRs at this point.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 04-11-2000, 04:59 PM

JeffR,

As I understand it, your options for "replication ready" (red book, disc-at-once capability) burning software are:

1. Master List CD (SCSI drives only, hasn't been updated in a while...)
2. Waveburner (limited drive compatibility, best features)
3. Jam (my favorite, but Adaptec hasn't updated it in awhile...)
4. Toast 4.0 Deluxe (bare bones for audio, but also does many other things; supports just about every drive and interface standard).

The combination of a 2 track editing program (like Peak or Spark) plus Toast will cover most CD burning situations, and do a lot of other cool things as well.

My advice: buy Toast first, since you will want it anyway for making CD-Roms for backup. If you need more features, then check out the other packages.

Kick: In the last 2 months I have sent 3 projects out for replication where the CD master was burned using Toast 4.0 Deluxe. Since many have said that Toast is not good for "real" CD masters (as opposed to discs for listening to on the 'ol car stereo) I have been waiting for the complaints to come back from the replication house, but none have come so far. The previous version of Toast didn't support disc-at-once, so maybe that's where Toast's reputation came from?

My $0.02 or so...

Jeff D.