Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Question Bass Management workaround using KRK 10s SUB

I've set up a new editing room with KRK 5.1 using the 10s sub. It doesn't have a dedicated Sub IN and just has the crossover for the L/R, thus I can't use the sub in a dedicated out fashion and feed it LFE, etc..

My workaround has been making a stereo aux in PT and LPF'ing it at 80 HZ and putting LoAir waves on there for a little kick. Then I feed that to whatever sound I desire to hear sub in and monitor it back through the L/R crossover.

I then will use the send to LFE in PT to send it to the dedicated LFE channel. I know, I know, it's kind of ghetto since I can't monitor off that dedicated out, which in this case is output 4. I can monitor the sub send I set up obvsly and what I'm doing is mimicking that on the LFE send. I am using Waves M360 Manager on the Main Master Aux while monitoring and not printing and am just using that at 40 Hz from all satellite speakers to sub.

Do you think this monitoring is accurate at all?

Does anyone have a more graceful alternative to work around not having a dedicated sub output?

Keep in mind, this is just for editing in 5.1 and always goes to a better stage for final mix.

Thanks,
E
Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Bass Management workaround using KRK 10s SUB

I was under the impression that if you simply plug your LFE channel out into either the L or R in the 10s and calibrate properly with an RTA meter than you should in fact be able to use it properly.

I am doing so and mixes seem to work out alright up until the final dub where things are simply boosted a little since we cant hit the 10s as hard in our premix room.

Maybe am missing something but I don't see the issue..

you mention not having a dedicated sub output but reference the 10s having a L and R in and not LFE in. Do you not have a dedicated LFE out to feed one of the L or R inputs on the 10s?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 PM

There is one set of L/R XLR Ins and one set of XLR Outs on the back of the 10s and then one set of balanced 1/4" Line Ins and then the unbalanced RCA line in/out.

So I was assuming that there was just one set of end Ins though. You could either use balanced line in OR XLR L/R In...

I have my setup as such: going out of 1/2 on interface and into L/R on 10s and then out of 10s and into L/R speakers.

Yes I have multi outs on the interface, thus have 5.1. So can I go out of, say output 4 and then line in to the 10s while still running XLR in to 10s for the L/R speakers?

Will this not have any kind of impedence effect?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:27 PM

OR, were you suggesting to not use it as a crossover for L/R and just run out of 1/2 into L/R as usual? and then just run out of 4 into L XLR IN on sub?

I'm liking the monitoring of stereo downmixes with that sub crossover. That's the only thing. If I ran it all through bass mgmt. monitoring via m360, perhaps it'll will still have same quality low end for all satellite speakers?

Thanks
E
Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 PM

Page 11 and 12 of the manual talk about setting and calibrating the 10s for LFE. And I'm 99% sure that, as the other guy said, you can just use either the left or right input and it will be mono. If I remember correctly, I called KRK to ask about this, and I'm pretty sure they said that's the case. You may want to give them a call during the week. They're usually very helpful.