Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2001, 03:01 PM

Default plugging a guitar

Hi,
When I plug my guitar or bass into the DIGI001 preamps, I have an important loss of highend frequencies...does anybody know about it ?
Old 10-22-2001, 03:10 PM

Default Re: plugging a guitar

Digi001 preamps are for mic impedance, which is very different from guitar impedance. Unless you use an impedance adaptor (direct box), the difference in impedances will result in a modification of the frequency response.

The ideal is to get a guitar preamp, like a POD or something: Di-Box but also some decent sounds to get you going (always better than direct).

Good luck!

6am eternal
Old 10-22-2001, 03:20 PM

Talking about preamps & Pod, what do you think of the Johnson J-station ? of the Pod ? I'm kinda hesitating to buy a stuff like that to use with my digi...
Old 10-22-2001, 06:18 PM

I do all of my recordings using 2 guitar Pods and a bass Pod. We even use them live without amps. Some of the stock sounds are a little bland so I use Soundiver alot. Pods are very good for recording and great for getting loud overdriven sounds without pissing off the neighbors.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:31 PM

What model PODs?
Old 10-23-2001, 05:57 AM

I have recently bought the Behringer V-amp. It is very much like the Pod. I tried both out twice before going with the V-amp. It is 24 bit, pod is 20 bit. They both sound great, and I could have gone either way, but the V-amp was $299, pod is $429. (Canadian $)

I sold my Mesa boogie, don't need it with this new contrivance.

Gar
Old 10-24-2001, 12:49 AM

Yeah, the impedance on the 001 front panel inputs is only like 3000 or 4000 ohms. You really need something with a Megohm or more for full frequency response. Even cheap DI boxes have an input impedance of at least 50,000 ohms. I don't know what Digi was thinking - possibly a compromise impedance that will also work with mics?

I did use it on my ES175 Gibson once for a George Benson-ish or BB King sound (very mellow jazz). It works quite nicely for that, but not for R&B or pop/dance.

I have the kidney-shaped POD with the version 2.0 software. It's pretty good by itself. It works REALLY well if you can use it like a "stomp box" in front of a tube amp and mic the amp. It definitely adds some depth and tons of variation.

The factory presets show off all the features, but you'll want to tweak things to your liking.

The J-station is dirt cheap now ($150 in the U.S.) and has two bass guitar sounds as well as an acoustic guitar simulator. I've played them right next to each other and it's pretty hard to say which one sounds better. (IMHO) I think the J-station has a slight edge in the cleaner sounds. I haven't tried the V-amp.

The July issue of Recording Magazine had a shoot-out of like seven or eight different Guitar modelers like the POD, J-Station, V-amp, etc. It might be worth purchasing a back issue.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:17 PM

If you go to www.harmony-central.com you can find a really good, objective review of the p.o.d., j-staion-and the roland vg8.
The p.o.d. and the j-station have digital out that can go straight into the spdif input. This takes away the capatence issue.
but when it comes down to it, the dierect bow issue is analgous to the ibm vs. mac issue, there will be people that sware by one or the other. I recently tested out two of the new boxes(behriger, digitechs) though they where good, they seemed like a photocopy of the originals (p.o.d. j-station) which in effect is kina' a photcopy of the original amps
Old 10-26-2001, 12:53 AM

Hey there, everybody...
Actually the "normal" POD (kidney bean variety) does not have a S/PDIF out. The POD Pro does. The J-Station also has a S/PDIF out. Though in my experience, I have preferred taking the analog out of my POD Pro into a good mic pre before hitting the recording medium--the straight digital out doesn't sound as good to my ears.
Of course, it depends on your mic pre.
And as always, YMMV.

mw
Reason 2.5, iDrum, Stylus RMX, Waves MBII
Guitars!
Old 10-26-2001, 04:24 AM

Yeah I agree. I Don't use the Digital out. Had a hard time getting good gain staging between different presets. I like the PodPro XLR outs thru a Tubessence PreAmp. Found the clean sounds sound better with a less hot output setting and the overdrive settings sound better coming out of the PodPro hotter and I do the final gain staging through the Tubessence Preamp. Also live through the Nearfields at a strong volume seem to help it record with a nice sympathetic feedback that recorded more accurately like my 50 watt Marshall plexi for leads.
I have a PodPro, Pod, Bass Pod and I bought a J station off of a friend. Didn't think the modeling was as accurate as the Pods especially for the Brit settings though and sold it off to another friend. Never cared for any of the units through my amps or the PA in my project studio. I'm going to relook trying the Pod Pro through the PA as this woud be very convenient to easily go sit in at Clubs. The amps sound better with Tube Screamer or my current fave VooDoo Labs SparkleDrive (vintage TubeScreamer clone). I love the Line6 DL4 Delay Modeler. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]