Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2001, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Digi001 NEEDS IMPROVEMENTS!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> "Everyone I know is getting rid of their 001 and switching to products that work with Powerbooks. It's the way things are now." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh Ok, so how many people do you know who use a 001?...1,2 maybe 3, let's say 5.
Five people, more likely one or two, do something in your small world and you decide that's the way things are?...
Well, every musicians / engineers / producers I know (and I know some...) are still using desktops even when working on other softs than PT.
But I'm not presenting this as a fact as you do.
You remind me of some other preacher / ********er that we had to deal with on this Forum. Well, most of them got kicked and have totally disappeared...Which is normal.
You're using this forum to say that PT+001 is crap...We all know it's not a perfect product, but in the end I think we like it and use it well.
You could aswell go to a bikers meeting and scream that bikers are sissies !
In both cases, you'd get kicked.

So if you don't like PT & the 001, then go find yourself another forum where you can preach your ********s to friendly hears ! You're not helping / welcome here as far as I'm concerned.
Thank you.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:49 AM

i made some cd's with protools le and
they are fine. i made some cd's with 24
analog tape and they are fine too.
protools le is not perfect, but a good tool.
i think they can upgrade it all the time and
sure they do.
everybody knows beatles stuff...(4track)
sometimes limitations will bring craftman-
shift to a higher level.
tantejo
Old 10-22-2001, 05:17 AM

laptops suck.... they're wimpy. you want portability? get a pc and mount it in a 1 unit server case. then put the 001 on top with a flat panel monitor. instant portability in a 2 space rack with a full size keyboard/mouse.....

by the way, you can also fit 2 uw scsi drives inside a 1U server case - can't do that with a laptop..... don't forget about 1+ GHz processors - can't do that in a laptop...... cd burner..... pci..... you name it, better than laptop.....
Old 10-22-2001, 09:31 AM

"You can use the Digi001 with a Powerbook, simply get an expansion chassis."

Sorry, too big, too expensive.

"No offense but if we're talking about home studio markets here, why do notebook computers come into the picture?"

Because people play OUT. It's great to be able to track live gigs.

"It's cheaper to go with a desktop"

iBook: $1299. Actually the laptop is cheaper.

"besides, PCI still offers far greater bandwidth than Firewire."

Which is a moot point since Digi only offers 24 tracks on the 001 and others can go far beyond that using Firewire.

"you want portability? get a pc and mount it in a 1 unit server case."

Can you sit that on your lap and edit on a plane? Don't think so. You're proposing a system about ten times larger and heavier than a laptop.

In terms of speed and processing power, some people don't need tons of mhz, plus with firewire you can track remotely on the laptop, then mix on a faster desktop (just plug the FW box into your desktop).

Don't dismiss the idea of a DAW running on a laptop just because YOU don't need one. I've seen setups like this in action, and they kick ass.

Mike
Old 10-22-2001, 09:36 AM

Hey Mixermon. The only thing I read in your post is that you obviously didn't do your homework when you bought the 001...or do you even own one??? No, the 001 won't get you a beer, make a sandwich or get the Cubs to the World Series. Doesn't sound like you need to be working with PRO tools anyway.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:12 AM

"More people own laptops than desktops now and that is fact."

I think you're facts are really screwed up - or your world is VERY small.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:36 AM

Hmmm,

I have to agree that the original post was pretty inflamatory; but I also think it contained a grain of truth. Digi is notorious for being a bit arrogant and slow to make big advances in technology.

I feel Digidesign is behind the curve and resting on BRAND to maintain their market share. If Cubase VST hadnt hit the home market so hard, would we even have the Digi001? I dont think so.

Here's what I'D like to see from Digidesign and what I think they need to do to stay in the game (Firewire isnt high on my list but it is a valid request):

(1) Stop making the ProTools LE platform crippleware in a moronic attempt to encourage customers to head for the full ProTools package. By this I mean get rid of the artificial 24 track limitation (Puuuleeease!) and the abscence of timecode. This is just ridiculous.

(2) The price points between LE and full blown ProTools is entirely too far apart and few (Id guess less than 15%) will ever make the leap between these two products. Its just a different market.

The code-base for these two products has to be VERY similar (no one would design it otherwise as a software company) so the investment and overhead is very similar. The ProTools hardware is nothing special so that cant account for the price difference. Features are similar and where different its artifical (see point #1) So, why is the price x10 higher? Drop the price by half and get in the game.

(3) Support card based DSP/processor expansion for all protools platforms. If they dont support this for LE, I think they will lose more market share to VST based systems. THe mix farm price point is also outrageous compared to the processing power vs. price available for some of the VST cards.

My beefs.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:33 PM

Hey Mr. T
I pity the foooool who goes to THAT bikers meeting! Your points in your post were well stated. I work on both the 001 and mix farm sytems and can clearly see the reasons the 001 is made so affordable (glitches, hindsight and all). It allows those of us (who GO to those people who own studios we can't yet afford) to actually experience some of it on our own.
I can bitch and moan about what I wish for with the best of 'em. Instead I say thanks Digi. I look forward to each and every improvement to an already great piece of software.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:40 PM

I want to see an SMPTE time ruler in PT LE. The home studio user would like to explore film scoring and this could led to a purchase of a high-end system.

You have PT Free. Why not give PT LE SMPTE?

Otherwise yes I will go with another vendor for everything. How can I make the bigtime if I can't practice with the home studio tools?
Old 10-22-2001, 08:40 PM

Excerpt from Article on Apple site...

"Damian and I finished up the music on a Power Mac in Logic Audio Platinum,” says Gabbay. “The unique custom-screen setup abilities that Logic has, made the audio editing process so fast. For doing the desktop audio stuff, Logic is just incredible.”

“I got 24-bit audio into the Mac using a MOTU 1224. I found that for recording audio to your hard drive, the MOTU interface converts with much-better sound quality than ProTools Digi001 does, even though the MOTU stuff is way less expensive,” stresses Gabbay. “Plus, it’s glitch-free, so I don’t crash and lose important project clips.”