Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2002, 11:01 PM

Default Noise on vocal track

I have some noise on my vocal tracks. I guess it came from the instrument tracks bleeding from the headphones. How would I get that noise out? It wouldn't be much aof a problem except that I mute the instrument track on different parts so only the vocals are playing. That is when I hear the bleeding of the instruments in the monitors. I pretty much just have the plugins that came with digi001 so I don't have a lot of choices. Can anyone help me with this situation? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2002, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Noise on vocal track

Treat it as noise...

Try to EQ it out, but that will obviously affect the sound of your vocals too. Mu suggestion would be a notch at something like 2Khz or something, really small, to get the hissy hightpitch bleed out.

Or treat the track with a program for humm- and noise-removel. Normally you have to point out to that program what you consider to be noise, and then it will try to filter it out. Better results are reported this way, but be vareful...reducing the noise too much will again affect the sound you dont want to be affected.

You could download the x-noise demo from waves. It is noise-removel software with only one big problem....Once you've used it....you dont want to stop using it after 2 weeks.....

Bastiaan
Old 02-12-2002, 08:34 AM

Thanks for your reply Bastiaan. I will give your suggestions a try. Should have made sure the noise wouldn't get there in the first place huh?
Old 02-12-2002, 09:18 AM

I would try the stock expander-gate and try to cut out the bleed with that. If the bleed is so bad that you can hear it WHILE the vocal is singing, you have the option of re-recording.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:57 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Park Seward:
If the bleed is so bad that you can hear it WHILE the vocal is singing, you have the option of re-recording.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And try to convince the vocalist that the cans don't need to be cranked to ear bleeding level the next time!

I had one vocalist that kept insisting that the cans weren't loud enough. I kept allowing her to increase the volume in the cans to the point that the mic was actually feeding back! Rediculous! Sometimes people just need to think about their levels and what it can do to their hearing, let alone the recording!

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 02-13-2002, 07:10 AM

Re-record it. Just don't trash the fisrt take in case you can't capture the performance again.

There's nothing wrong with doing something over again if it's not right. Explain the problem to your client. If they don't understand- then state your case and tell them they can run with it- but the project will suffer because of it.

The vocal track is the the most important track. If that isn't right- the track just won't work- period.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the reply nqmike. The track is very good except for the bleeding. The bleeding is very low so it doesn't effect the track when the music is playing. Only when I cut the music can I hear the tracks. I will discuss it with the artist though. If she wants to do it again then we will. Thanks guys

Darren [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2002, 11:13 AM

I know dmax1 that you mentioned just having standard plugins, and this wouldn't help your situation right now. But WavesRestorations plugins are incredible for things like this.
Here's an example. Last week, I miked an acoustic guitar part, wearing headphones to block out all other sound, and like an idiot, unconsiously left the sound up slightly in the room. Not until later, upon soloing the track, did I realize that I could hear the overall mix in the background. And, it was not an easy part to repeat.
Well anyway, I applied the 'AntiNoise' plugin from WR, and the mix noise was virtually gone.

So, I'm just saying that for those who have WR, this is a instance where it can be used.
I wonder if there is a free downloadable demo of WavesRestorations? That could solve it for you.

Roy
Old 02-13-2002, 01:59 PM

Next time try some "closed back" headphones if you need to crank the level.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:24 PM

R.Howell, I am going to check if there is a demo of the Waves plugin you mentioned. That would be great! I should just break down and buy some real good plugs but money is an object! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]