Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Mackie 32x8 Analog 8 Bus Console

What can you tell me about your experience on this mixer. Is it worth the money?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Mackie 32x8 Analog 8 Bus Console

I'm not an expert by any means, but a couple of months ago, I was going to apply for a job at a studio where they used this mixer, so I took some time and downloaded and read the manual for it, and I have to say that it sounds like a pretty cool mixer to me. If I had the funds I would probably get something like that.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:33 AM

I have no direct experience with the board, but recently read they could possibly have ribbon cable related problems, but again, I have no knowledge of it. I'd think sonically, the Mackie stuff is "identifiable", and you could get a pretty honest impression by checking out an older 1604 or 1202 model, since they all came out around the same time.
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 08-20-2005, 10:34 AM

I have a 24, ribbons on a couple of strips have been changed about 2 and half years into ownership.

Bare in mind though I had bought this as B stock from my local dealer so I was lucky to get the job done under warranty.

Apart from that the desk is nice, pre's are OK and the eq's is not bad at all.
Routing capabilities are great with the triple bussing feature on there.

I have the Alesis HD24 connected to the 24 tape ins so basically you have 24 inputs on top and 24 underneath.

To swap from top to bottom you can press flip or if you want to mix what ever inputs you have coming in on the tape returns just press the MIX B button.

Build Quality is ok I noticed my desk has started to strip around the corners but I have moved recently so I guess that happend in transit just be careful when it comes to knocks because the slightest knock you have will strip the paint work.

There's loads more about this desk thats just my two pennies worth.

Blog For Beats Facebook
My Twitter
Old 08-20-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
What can you tell me about your experience on this mixer. Is it worth the money?
I had a 24x8 for a while and it did it's job pretty good. It has a flexible, well thought-out design. The triple bussing feature is cool (I never used the triple bussing feature, I just used the direct outs, but it's there if you need it). To tell you the truth, for the money (especially if you can get one used) there probably isn't a better inline console that I can think of. IMO the sound is just average though, nothing to special but it will get the job done (IMO the PT LE and TDM mix busses sound better). The only real downside I see to the mixer would be the inserts are unbalanced (i/o on one TRS cable as opposed to having a balanced in and out for each channel).

I sold the console because I didn't need a big console anymore, all I needed was preamps into PT. For my needs this console didn't have the sound and is too big (especially the 32x8) to keep for preamps into PT.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:40 AM

for the money, your much better off getting an allen&heath GL series board. I would recommend using A&H over mackie anytime possible. Although this is just preference, everyone I've know who's owned both has always choose the A&H over the mackie's. But test them both out if possible, use your ears I guess....
Old 08-21-2005, 12:05 PM

I've got this mixer at my church... which i use every sunday. Its got a pretty clean sound and the 8 buss is always nice... In my studio I've got a vintage TEAC Series 15... and the main differences between them both is that the Mackie's EQ's don't seem as responsive as my studio board(although the do respond well) and the buss sends on the Mackie are only 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8.. so you cna have 2 tracks going to jsut buss1 and 2 more tracks going to buss 2... unless you pan then left or right.. I'm not sure how much these boards go for.. last time i looked i thought it was something like 3500-4500 or something.. I just know my church got a rediculous deal on it for $1700... and we're happy. I think its a great mixer... but I don't think you really need 32 tracks for the studio.. 24 with the bridge would do you fine. My TEAC is up to 24 tracks but i only have 18... I've never had to use them all. but maybe thats juse me. Oh.. and the Mackie has prett good head room.. I haven't heard it clip yet(although i use it for live and not studio)... If you want to ask me some direct questions abotu it i can go ahead and look at the board and let you know.. cya

jonny