Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-1999, 06:52 AM

Default SC/PT24MixPlus/Logic TDM Silencing of SC whilst Preview/Playing samples

Sample Cell v2.1/ Pro Tools 24 Mix Plus v4.3/Logic Platinum v3.6 /Mac 9600/300
Has any one out there had the following irratatingly intermittent problem ? I had this happening continually before Christmas, then it went away for a couple of months, now it's back!
SC when playing through TDM with Logic the following results in SC going silent:The problem occurs when looking for new sounds for SC. Navigate to a sample in any connected drive, before you decide to download it , you preview it ......... Press Play......you hear sample through TDM........choose another sample to preview and press play.......you hear sound again...........press play on a new sound for (usually the 3rd or 4th time) and SC TDM goes quiet. If you now try to play ANYTHING in SC with Midi or previewing .....it is totally silent ! It's as if the TDM connection has gone dead.....BUT if you go to the related mix environment page in Logic and either toggle the STEREO/MONO configuration or toggle the output selection to say NO OUTPUT then back to MASTER OUT it comes back to life.........the only snag is that this takes an irratatingly long time if when looking for say a drum sample and after every 3 attempts to preview, the TDM dies, it then takes another 30 secs to navigate back through the Logic Envoronment to bring it back to life.........anyone else got the problem ...or a solution ? Thanks Richard G M
Old 02-23-1999, 02:22 PM
Avid

Default Re: SC/PT24MixPlus/Logic TDM Silencing of SC whilst Preview/Playing samples

Richard,

Have you already tried trashing the preferences? In particular the Digisetup file? It's not uncommon for that file to become corrupted when switching back and forth between Logic and Pro Tools. The reason I ask is because I've seen similar things happen in Pro Tools with a corrupted Digisetup file.
Old 02-27-1999, 08:18 AM

Default Re: SC/PT24MixPlus/Logic TDM Silencing of SC whilst Preview/Playing samples

Hi! you mean you can preview sounds through TDM? Funny it didn't work for me last time and I had to connect the analog outputs for preview. Anyway I have already given up on using the TDM bridge.
Old 03-03-1999, 09:00 PM

George
Why have you given up on using the TDM bridge. If you had trouble getting it to work, it sounds like you needed to upgrade to the next revision. I had the same problem. Sending in the SCII card solved the problem and now I'm able to get cool TDM effects on direct inserts. This is not to be overlooked when purchasing a SCII card...
Lenny
Old 03-04-1999, 02:09 AM

Dear Tech Support
Thanks for the note. I've now binned the Digi'Prefs' file that you suggested and so far have had no further trouble. Although it did seem quite bazaar that my system worked for a long period of time before throwing the problem !

Is there any likely hood that an updated SC system IS around the corner because so many threads of this user group seem to be screaming out for one........not forgetting that it is already a fabulous way to work?

It seems to make no sense to have the wonderful options available in ProTools 24Mix Plus when I often score a whole movie with out ever even recording a single track in 'Audio'! Please give us more access with xtra channels , ADSR on individual voices etc etc soon. However, these are already wonderful products! Many thanks.

Richard

Richard
Old 03-04-1999, 01:15 PM
Avid

Hi Richard,

Glad your back up and running. Though we cannot comment on any future plans we always welcome feedback from customers. We do look at the suggestions when products are upgraded.

George can you give me specifics on how your piggyback was failing?

-bm-
Old 03-05-1999, 11:09 AM

Dear bm (Tech Support)
My SC preview problem is back again today-exactly the same as previously explained above. The truth is that over the last couple of weeks I have spent most of my time working with existing mixes of previously constructed instruments & just did an occasional preview to replace existing samples. Last couple of days have been 'down time' and I have just started to look at my next project this afternoon. On building up new sounds in SC for my new project, the preview/play facility worked 10 times and then on the next attempt (- actually half way through the sound playing ) the TDM output/connection died again ! Once again the only way (very cumbersome though it may be!) to connect any SC in that card back to the TDM output, is to turn the TDM Output to "NO Output" in Logic Mix Environment and then turn it back on again ....the TDM once again connects up. To be honest, I'm now ready to believe that many people must have this problem, but don't know about it because they don't spend enough time compliling their own instruments ..thus spending little time previewing sounds ! THIS PROBLEM EXISTS !!! Incidently the sounds will still merrily coming out of the analogue output which is not connected to anything. Also I have checked all the other SC channels ( 3&4,5&6, 7&8 ) and all TDM in that card is dead. It's as if all TDM connections are terminated until you do something to wake the system up ! Incidently Card No2 in my system is still working OK.
We really do need to get to the bottom of this. Any ideas?
Old 03-05-1999, 02:55 PM
Avid

We had 2 reports of this in the UK, and it was solved by enabling the Energy Saver control panel and changing it from 30 minutes to "never."

Please let us know whether or not this helps.

Jeff Cohen
Digidesign
Old 03-06-1999, 02:21 AM

Dear Jeff
Thanks for the note. Unfortunately I was actually one of the UK reports and yes you were right to assume that this indeed seemed to go away after taking the Energy Saver out. However I think that to be honest I was having a mountain of problems due to the fact that I was being initiated into Studio Vision having come from years of Cubase for the sole purpose of getting into PRO TOOLS 24 MixPlus........................sadly one of the worse encounters of the technical kind that I've ever had.This was due to the fact that nobody told me that Vision was NOT at that time compatible with PT24+ (incidently not something that I hold Digi responsible for!) Ofcourse I assumed that being a Vision novice ALL the problems were ME!
At that time I had so many problems that when one day miraculously the SC preview problem went away, it could only at that time be credited to the Energy Saver, because that was the only attributable change I made on that occasion. The problem went away and stayed away for some time.....or so I thought. I'm very sorry if that was confusing but these were the facts as I saw them & indeed I continued to have such horrendous problems for some time to come until someone owned up at Vision that indeed the version at that time did not work with PT24+ and I moved onto Logic which ofcourse worked perfectly. BUT once again I was on a new platform!
Yesterday I managed to save the "problem" in a Logic 'Song' and every time that I launch that 'Song' I can reproduce the problem instantly.
What I propose to do is send it to Rob Kelly at Digi UK and see if he can reproduce the problem because we hopefully have a way of reproducing it in a 'Saved' form.
Once again sorry for the duff info but at the time I thought the problem was cracked, my Mac was in one heck of a state. Let's see if we can't get to the bottom of this now I have a more controlled environment.
Best,
Richard
Old 03-09-1999, 01:46 PM
Avid

Thanks for the followup! I'll update our database to reflect that Energy Saver is not the culprit.

So you have now seen this problem in Vision (what version?) and Logic Platinum 3.6? I'll ask Rob to forward the file to me when he gets it.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff Cohen
Digidesign