Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Default tracks out of synch / there seams to be a delay . . .

Hello,
When I play back a recording (PT 7.3 - MBox 2pro - xp), the tracks that are recorded sound out of synch. As an example - I'll record the drums (4 tracks) at the same time - in playback, they sound fine. When I add Bass / guitar / whatever . . . it is out of synch with the drums - even though they sound perfectly in synch when the recording is made. I've tried several recordings - & even scaled down to single beats & get the same 'out of synch' situation.

Thoughts??
Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: tracks out of synch / there seams to be a delay . . .

I ran into a similar situation on a project the other day; and a member of this forum so kindly enlightened me. If you have a plugin on your master fader it can cause latencey resulting in a delay of your performance.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Hello,
When I play back a recording (PT 7.3 - MBox 2pro - xp), the tracks that are recorded sound out of synch. As an example - I'll record the drums (4 tracks) at the same time - in playback, they sound fine. When I add Bass / guitar / whatever . . . it is out of synch with the drums - even though they sound perfectly in synch when the recording is made. I've tried several recordings - & even scaled down to single beats & get the same 'out of synch' situation.

Thoughts??
I too have had issues, read mine posts maybe in some way this could be related, let me know.

If you use PTS 7.3 then please check this out

1) Initially I thought the bad latency was only related to an older session for example PTS 7.1 sessions to be used in PTS 7.3, however there must be a bad bug in PTS 7.3 how else do one explain the phenomenon.

If one do tracking (Recording) with a click track, the first track(s) always is in time with the click however as soon as one ad any new tracks they play out of time, in real time there is NO latency or track that is out of time (recording to click) only when tracks are played back is there is bad timing problem (Bad latency). Why will it be in time with the click and when played back is the timing out. We are talking a severe time problem when played back. Except the first track(s) is always in time with the click.

If I use PTS 7.1 then all is well again. The thing I have noticed is my sound quality has improved with 30% on my ADAT PTS 7.3; PTS 7.3 seems to work fine and are great, except for the latency on tracks added to the first recording parts with a click track.

I reiterate NO latency when recording in real time only when track(s) is played back in real time (I use the Digi002).

Please let me know if you people out there are having the same issue?

I have pick-up a strange scenario with PTS 7.3Le. Older sessions recorded in PTS 7.1Le which have a very bad latency now in Pts 7.3Le. NOT when recorded in real time, only when the new recorded track(s) are played back in 7.3Le in real time. Prior to PTS 7.3Le all worked normal in PTS 7.1Le. New sessions from 7.3Le seem to be unaffected at this time. Only when new recorded tracks are added to an older session for example Pts 7.1Le to be used in 7.3Le do these problems occur.

I reiterate NO latency when recording in real time only when track is played back in real time (I use the Digi002). Changes to (settings from sample to tick base) seem to make matters worse.

Do anyone have a clue why this would be or is there a setting that causes this phenomenon.

I found the timing problem in PTS 7.3 it must be a bug.

By default tick base tracks are select in the preference menu under edit. Even the midi is affected by this timing problem.

A way around this I suppose, till Digi fix this bug is to use “SAMPLE” base track then NO timing is effected audio or midi or and tracks do not play out of time if any is added.

The tick base even effect midi timing not just audio as this is selected by default. I do not think this timing issue is designed ergonomically to play added recorded tracks out of time this must be a bug in PTS 7.3.

1) Initially I thought the bad latency was only related to an older session for example PTS 7.1 sessions to be used in PTS 7.3, however there must be a bad bug in PTS 7.3 how else do one explain the phenomenon.

If one do tracking (Recording) with a click track, the first track(s) always is in time with the click however as soon as one ad any new tracks they play out of time, in real time there is NO latency or track that is out of time (recording to click) only when tracks are played back is there is bad timing problem (Bad latency). Why will it be in time with the click and when played back is the timing out. We are talking a severe time problem when played back. Except the first track(s) is always in time with the click.

If I use PTS 7.1 then all is well again. The thing I have noticed is my sound quality has improved with 30% on my ADAT PTS 7.3; PTS 7.3 seems to work fine and are great, except for the latency on tracks added to the first recording parts with a click track.

I reiterate NO latency when recording in real time only when track(s) is played back in real time (I use the Digi002).

Please let me know if you people out there are having the same issue?

Look at my other post for more detail on this topic.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:21 AM

I have been experiencing the exact same behaviour.

First track recorded is fine, overdub is delayed on playback.

I found that changing the buffer and/or turning on/off Low Latency Monitoring seemed to fix it (and it's only happened a few random times). This made me think maybe I have misunderstood how the Hardware Buffer and LLM works and it was a fault on my part - I've been going crazy and feeling rather stupid during a few panicy moments during sessions.

I've also been seeing other stange behaviour though, so I'm kind of used to it now.

Sonny