Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2003, 12:22 PM

Default Question from a beginner

I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to adjust two faders at once?
2. When mixing down with an external effect...like BBE Sonic Maximizer...well I'm not sure how to do it, it keeps telling me that all the inputs are in use.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? My tech support phone service has run out.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Question from a beginner

Let's see if I can help you out. First to adjust two faders at once, I would simply assign them to a group fader. In other words bus both faders to an AUX channel, and use the AUX fader to adjust the volume. This is commonly done for groups of instruments, such as drums. Once the drum mix is rockin' it's easier to assign the whole kit to one fader, than adjust single faders to sit in the mix.

For your second question, I kind of need to know what DIGI unit your using. What I usally do with my 001 is: Run cable from monitor outs to BBE. Run cable from BBE to inputs 3 & 4, and make sure the "monitor" button on the 001 is not depressed. This way you hear what's coming from the BBE, and not what's going to it. Hope I've helped ya. Good Luck.

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 08-21-2003, 02:54 PM

Quote:
First to adjust two faders at once, I would simply assign them to a group fader. In other words bus both faders to an AUX channel, and use the AUX fader to adjust the volume.
Better and simpler to just create a group; no aux track necessary.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:20 PM

Ahhhh, the old "create group" trick. Very clever! To be honest with you, I've never done this. I'm still relatively new to DAWs. I'm one of those guys who did everything in the analog world until a couple of years ago. So I'm still thinking in the analog "box", so to speak. Just goes to show you that you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks AE.

Old 08-21-2003, 04:09 PM

Quote:
To be honest with you, I've never done this.
Check it out. There are other useful benefits, such as being able to instantly show/hide all grouped tracks or hide every track other than the members of a given group. Or color-coding by group. Or simultaneously editing all grouped tracks. Or changing the track height of all group members. Or... well, you get the idea.

By the way, the (All) group is very handy for many global functions. Just make sure you disable it after its use; otherwise, it's easy to do something you'll regret that can't be un-done.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:17 PM

Thanks a lot! That was very helpful. I am also an old analog turned digital. ProTools is difficult, but its an unreal piece of software. Oh the things you can do...
Old 08-21-2003, 04:18 PM

Yes... (All) will @#$%&* you for sure.

I sometimes wish it could be active while holding down a key with left hand, and released when you let go.

Oh well, at least there's revert to save for when you zero all your faders - which you will do.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:35 PM

But wait! Does this apply to PTLE 5.1? If not, I'm screwed.