Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2024, 11:09 AM

Default ProTools & Performance vs Efficiency cores in M3 chips

Was very interesting watching this video on how Protools does not use any of the efficiency cores in the new M3 chips.

I wonder if this will ever change and they will optimize the software for these newer Apple chips?
Old 01-12-2024, 12:34 PM

Default Re: ProTools & Performance vs Efficiency cores in M3 chips

Lots of past discussion on this. Please search DUC before starting a new thread.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=426809
Old 01-12-2024, 01:10 PM

Pro Tools doesn’t use the efficiency cores on any M chips.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Lots of past discussion on this. Please search DUC before starting a new thread.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=426809

Thanks Daryl. I used the community search function and put in 'M3' and zero came up. Maybe the search function isn't working correctly?
thanks
Old 01-13-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldadrummer View Post
Thanks Daryl. I used the community search function and put in 'M3' and zero came up. Maybe the search function isn't working correctly?
thanks
It is not a M3 thing. It affects M1s, M2, (Pro, Max, and Ultra variations). I wouldn't worry too much about it as most people consider the Apple silicon machines to perform great compared to their Intel counterparts.

I look at it this way. Consider a large ship (Protools). The performance cores are like the main engines that turn the propellers that move the ship. The efficiency cores are like little tug boats used to maneuver the ship in port. People asking Protools to make use of the efficiency cores is like asking the ship to also use the tug boats out a sea when it works much better just using the main engines. This analogy may not be exactly how it works but Protools developers have not found a beneficial way to implementing the efficiency cores at this time yet.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-13-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
thanks
Unfortunately the vBulletin search built into this forum is next to useless. It should have been replaced with Google Search long ago.

But you can just use Google search yourself. e.g.

https://www.google.com/search?q=M3+e...A+duc.avid.com

or

https://www.google.com/search?q=Appl...3Aduc.avid.com

or if you want to see if a specific YouTube Video or some other content has been linked in other threads on DUC you can often just search for it or keywords in the video title. e.g.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...qX4bt9to4&sa=X

-- but not always because of URL shortners and other reasons.

And there is some care taken above in picking good search terms above, if you search for just "M3" you'll eventually find it but that is a poor search term since there are so many other M3 related posts on DUC. (and as mentioned this is not a specific M3 thing).

Other Google search operators like "" and - frequently help. See https://ahrefs.com/blog/google-advan...arch-operators.

A "How to search DUC using Google search" post should be pinned in every sub-forum here.
Old 01-14-2024, 02:28 AM

That video refers to the Pro chips, where the M3 is at a disadvantage of having fewer performance cores to the previous generation. However, that is not the case with with the standard M3, or Max chips.

Does Pro Tools just benefit from more cores, or is single core performance equally important though?
Old 01-15-2024, 02:52 AM

the full blown M3 16" Max has a total of 16 cores. 12 Performance Cores and 4 Efficiency cores.

I ordered this beast to replace my M1 Pro (10core (8P + 2E)). will arrive soon (I hope)

As ProTools indeed only uses the High Performance cores this will give me a significant power-boost.

It won't be as powerfull as my Mac Pro M2 Ultra (hosting 16 High Performance Cores) but as an machine for working at home this would be more than enough.

I'll have some checks when the macbook Pro arrives and post them here.

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|2x PRE |2x Audient PRE 880| 1x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Avid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue | Avid MTRX Studio + Thunderbolt 3 Interface
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE

System 3 : Dolby Atmos Renderer Running Sonoma 14.4
MacMini M2 Pro |16 GB RAM | Avid MTRX Studio (Thunderbolt3)
Old 02-05-2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Was very interesting watching this video on how Protools does not use any of the efficiency cores in the new M3 chips.

I wonder if this will ever change and they will optimize the software for these newer Apple chips?
joeldadrummer, unfortunately at version 2023.12.1 Pro Tools doesn't use efficiency cores.

I am glad they are showing interest now (Avid) on developing new features, cos using the word "innovate" is a stretch. I wish Pro Tool users, and traditional DAW users in general were more objective and informed about what other companies are doing and what they offered instead of being trivalistic or justifying and defending each time their DAW drops the ball, "don't worry about it", "it's ok, it works for me", etc. (my opinion).

If we had held Avid accountable for stagnating in development for years while charging us a rent for doing just operative system compatibility updates maybe we wouldn't be here. In tech and even in video creation people constantly switch tools to take advantage of real innovation and it keeps all companies accountable.

The good news is that unlike us dinosaurs, the new generation of music producers and engineers are not stuck in the "industry standard frame", that's very nice, now they need to make good music! (just kidding)

Any any case, I use Pro Tools (since 2003), Logic, Reaper and Ableton. I can confirm that besides Reaper, Logic Pro version 10.8.1 now uses efficiency cores, too!!! We'll see about Ableton Live 12...

Logic Pro won't at NAMM 2024, good for them. Now let's hope for Avid to stop resting on their laurels and make real quality of life features, specially for producing music and modern production, not just for post work, not just markers and colors.

Alright, that's my two cents!!!
Old 02-05-2024, 12:24 AM

Quote:

joeldadrummer, unfortunately at version 2023.12.1 Pro Tools doesn't use efficiency cores yet.

I am glad they are showing interest now (Avid) on developing new features, cos using the word "innovate" is a stretch. I wish Pro Tool users, and traditional DAW users in general were more objective and informed about what other companies are doing and what they offered instead of being trivalistic or justifying and defending each time their DAW drops the ball, "don't worry about it", "it's ok, it works for me", etc. (my opinion).

If we had held Avid accountable for stagnating in development for years while charging us a rent for doing just operative system compatibility updates maybe we wouldn't be here. In tech and even in video creation people constantly switch tools to take advantage of real innovation and it keeps all companies accountable.

The good news is that unlike us dinosaurs, the new generation of music producers and engineers are not stuck in the "industry standard frame", that's very nice, now they need to make good music! (just kidding)

Any any case, I use Pro Tools (since 2003), Logic, Reaper and Ableton. I can confirm that besides Reaper, Logic Pro version 10.8.1 now uses efficiency cores, too!!! We'll see about Ableton Live 12...

Logic Pro won't at NAMM 2024, good for them. Now let's hope for Avid to stop resting on their laurels and make real quality of life features, specially for producing music and modern production, not just for post work, not just markers and colors, or promising something others had for ages...

Alright, that's my two cents, love!!!