Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Keyboard keeps shutting down during session

Howdy,
G4, dual 533 (multi-proc OFF), 512MB, 40MB in bay0, Seagate Barracuda Plus 120GB/8MB internal in bay1 as allocated disk--v5.2.1cst, OS9.1--this problem has been increasing slowly.

The standard Mac keyboard suddenly goes off during a session. Most of the time, removing and replugging the USB cable at the CPU works but successes are diminishing!!! I have switched to the other USB input on CPU and moved mouse to left-side USB port to no avail.
Looking for advice or someone that solved similar problem.
(Also, as this problem gets more frequent, I am getting more CPU overload warnings during playback. Plug-in usage has actually gone down! and I still have both the CPU bitching at me and the keyboard quitting---sheesh).
Thanx,
dna

G4 dual533, Digi001 + v5.2.1
Old 03-28-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Keyboard keeps shutting down during session

Let me first tell you that I haven't experienced that particular problem. I have had other things pop up with the older Mac OS. The first thing I did was to go up to Mac os 9.2.2 (The highest in 9 - make sure you download and upgrade the "firmware" too - directions on the download page - easy to do. Firmware is the stuff that tells the mouse and keyboard how to act with the OS). I'm running a 001 PT 5.2.1 on a Mac G4 1G single processer 1G of ram with Mac OS 9.2.2. Haven't had any trouble for quite a while. (Mostly pilot error when I do) This is a very stable system. I have been waiting to go to PT6 and Mac 10 for some time now. It looks like it's getting more stable but I can't afford all the upgrades (plug ins and I know I'd like the 002R) at the moment.

Good Luck
Mike
Studio 17
Old 03-28-2004, 03:33 PM

Thanx Mike--that surely reminds me to do a 9.2.1>9.2.2 update and get the firmware for the drives.

BUT--I guess I'm fishing around for advice on the USB chain itself, eg, are USB cables notoriously touchy & require replacement frequently? Are the USB ports on the CPU and the peripherals highly suspect or not? Do they suffer from static build up like a TV Cable does? Does the USB driver suffer from bit rot--heck, does 9.1 suffer from bit rot as a rule? Let me hear from everyone.
I'm not going to do anything to the machine until I can afford a replacement drive for my external Firewire enclosure for backups. I'm running a little spooky right now. I guess I'm fine that my second internal drive holds all my work pre-upgrade coz that wouldn't be touched by a 9.2.2 upgrade to the system drive--or would it?.
dna

G4 dual533, Digi001 + v5.2.1
Old 03-28-2004, 03:48 PM

It is possble there is a problem with the keyboard or mouse (there are known power issues with some of the keyboards & mice that shipped with the older G4s).

In my experience (with my own & client's Macs) 9.anything except 9.2.2 was buggy as all get-out. 9.2.2 has it's issues but you have to disable most of them to run Pro Tools anyhow (like the Multi User Startup extension - they should have named it Multi Crash & Burn Startup).

Upgrading the OS will not touch your audio/work drive, so you're safe there.

My first action would be a new keyboard and/or mouse. Swap one out and see if it helps if not, try the other...in whatever order you think is best.

HTH

Always err on the side of perfection.