Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2002, 08:40 AM

Default advice on microphones, microphone pre-amps and compressors.

I need some advice on microphones, microphone pre-amps and compressors. Let me explain, I am about to embark on recording my pop/rock band in my 32 Trk TDM Pro Tools system in Los Angeles. I have a limited budget lets say around $4k to $5k for microphones, pre-amps and compressor. I need top notch sound quality because the record will be going to top 40/hot ac radio, after we raise about $200k for radio promotion just to start out. I hear the Destresser Compresser is a must have, Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Rental is also an option, if anyone knows a great place to rent in LA let me know.
Thank you very much,
Maker
Old 03-30-2002, 11:24 AM

Default Re: advice on microphones, microphone pre-amps and compressors.

I would reccomend contacting Audio Affects in Burbank, CA at (818) 980-4006. Speak to Mark Napier.

Also, Audio Rents in Hollywood is an excellent rental company.

Good luck on your project!

Best Regards
Old 03-30-2002, 01:24 PM

Maker,

Fair enough. It is true that you wouldn't find a world class producer for $4,000. Still, I suspect you could have access to more quality gear renting studio time.

Unfortunately, $4,000 isn't gonna buy you a lot of quality mic pres, compressors or mics either.

Thanks for your understanding of my intent - I really do wish you the best results.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:20 PM

Thank you PTUser NYC
I think I can probably get away with just one great mic pre, one great compressor and one great mic. Everything else I will need I can just rent. I'll just be tracking one thing at a time since I will have the drums done in a studio with all the toys I need.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:31 PM

I dunno.

Its been my experience that when you track different instruments through different methods (different mic, different pre, different compressor etc) that it is MUCH easier to seperate them in the mix, and give them each specific personalities.

Of course, many great recordings have been made where this was not true - where the console was the only mic preamp available. Still, I think that having at least two choices would help a lot.

If I had to make some choices, I guess I'd opt for an Averill Neve 1272, and a Focusrite Red 8 mic for mic preamps. I know some people will scoff at the Red, but I really think those two complement each other very well. They are very different. I'd advise some API too, but you said the drums are being cut somewhere else, so maybe you don't need them right away.

I'd think about trying the Neve for lead vocals, guitar, and bass, and use the Focusrite for acoustic guitar (and other acoustic instruments), background vocals, percussion, and to bring back synths (through a DI).

I'd advise at least one high quality multi pattern large diaphragm condenser (I like the Neumann U87, others may disagree), a pair of small diaphragm condensers such as Neumann km184s, some good dynamics (Shure SM57, Sennheiser 421, EV RE20?) and perhaps a ribbon mic. You can use the ribbon and the large diaphragm comdenser for MS stereo in applications where the pair of small diaphragms aren't 'right'.

For compression, an LA-2a, and an 1176 will do a lot. If you get the distressor, it can get you part of the way there on the 1176, and do alot more, but I still think you'd miss the LA-2a on lead vocals. Naturally, there are a million other choices too, I'm just taking a stab here.

Unfortunately, the 2 mic pres alone will almost blow your budget. So would just the mics, or just the 2 compressors. This is why I still think you'd be better off renting studio time IF this project is the goal.

If your goal is to build up a collection of gear over time, any of these is a good choice, and will complement other good stuff you may buy later. I advise this over getting a lot of cheaper stuff, most of which will not hold up to other purchases over time.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:45 PM

Soundelux U195, Royer 121, or 122.
Empirical Fatso,
wow that's a small budget!
Funkenworks V72,
UA 610, i've heard Summit Audio is great for rock gtr's.
Old 03-30-2002, 05:03 PM

For great sound in a lot of different applications, and on a small budget:

1. Audio Technica 4060 Tube Mic (large diaphram)
2. Vintech Audio X73 Mic Pre/Eq (Neve clone, they use Neve parts, updated somewhat)
3. Distressor EL8 with all the Mods

Street/Mail order prices:

1. $995
2. $1600 plus $200 for a 4 unit power supply
3. $1600 (with all the mods)

The Distressor has an LA-2A emulation mode, among others. Not the original, but very warm and nice. It also has a tape saturation mode (third harmonic distortion) which is great. The above prices are just over your $4000 limit, but this is a very versatile rig for that price. I've used this set-up on guitars (acoustic and electric) and vocals. I have also recorded synths and electric pianos thru the Vintech's, they have an instrument level input on the front.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 03-30-2002, 05:28 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by rtcstudio:
[QB]

2. Vintech Audio X73 Mic Pre/Eq (Neve clone, they use Neve parts, updated somewhat)
QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Amek 9098 CIB is ##### incredible. Never tried distorted guitars on it, but for everything else - wow.

JS
Old 03-30-2002, 06:16 PM

rtcstudio-
Thank you so much, can you tell me where I can buy all of the things you mentioned online.
Thank you
Maker
Old 03-30-2002, 06:21 PM

is this a smart choice

DISTRESSOR EL8 $1,350.00
AVALON VT-737-SP VACUUM TUBE $i,999.00
BLUE BLUEBERRY MICROPHONE $999.00