Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Motherboard time! PCIe...Intel...Xeon...

Hi!
Time has come to collect some info!
I am trying to find a motherboard that has the following:

Intel Xeon Multi-Core socket (Xeon dual and quad core capable)
Intel 5000 series chipsets
FB-DIMM (16G max acceptable; 32G max better)(4-slot ok, 8 slot ok)
Dual Giagbit Ethernet/LAN
NO onboard video
Can have onboard sound
Support at least 4 SATA; at least 2 ATA
USB, USB2 and firewire support
4 or more PCIe slots (one 16x size AND elec.; other three can be 8x or less for size and elec.)
Does not need to have any PCI/PCI-X slots; would prefer one or none of these.

Physical structure must permit the full-size HD Accel PCIe cards to utilize 3 PCIe slots without interference from motherboard obstacles (heatsinks, caps, etc)

Yes, I am trying to imitate the Mac Pro setup. I am also trying to un-vilify ( hahaha!) PCIe on XP, so we can all get on the same page. I am certain PCIe and XP will work, but would like to make a first attempt with something closest to what I KNOW runs now. Only problem is, all the top motherboard manufacvturers seem to be holding onto PCI/PCI-X for dear life, for some incredibly inane reason (yes, I know- "Legacy! We MUST allow for legacy!!!" pffft...life goes on...so do I...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Motherboard time! PCIe...Intel...Xeon...

Are you abandoning the Mac, or is this just an experiment?

Also, have you tried PT WinXP under bootcamp on your Mac Pro? If so, how's it workin'?

http://www.badrap.org
Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Hehehe! Nah, Mac Pro is in my heart now...and I am actually doin ok with OS X. The memory handling benefits over XP make me happy, especially since I use virtual instruments that stream from RAM and disk.

I do have XP Pro via bootcamp, and it works beautifully! If I could use XP64, and have access to larger RAM amounts, I would probably use it over OS X at this point. Even though OS X PT HD boots very quickly, and certain things just run faster. But, the unexpected quits can be annoying, as it pretty much requires trashing Digi Databases. Maybe a CS or future rev/upgrade will address/fix these.

I am pre-researching ideas for a friend who is contemplating a jump from Mix to HD. Since $$$ is the main issue, I am trying to afford them the ability to do the deal, but doing PCIe instead of PCI makes a heck of alot more sense, as it would afford future-proofing a bit more, as well as affording more DSP capabilities since it is an Accel Core vs original Core. After using the Mac Pro, I just do not see a reason to use PCI anymore in a dedicated PT HD rig.

So...the search begins!
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:02 PM

Except that PCIe doesn't work for us poor XP users...sob sob sob
Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 PM

Nikki - The Dell Precision 690 is a qualified system for Pro Tools HD and sounds like what you are looking for. I'm running the dual dual-core Xeon (Woodcrest) which is like the Dell version of Mac Pro. Although you can't mix and match PCIe and PCI-X HD cards on the same machine, you can actually use one or the other. HOWEVER, Digi hasn't "officially" qualified PCIe HD on the Percision 690 (only PCI-X) but if you contact their Beta Test group they'll work with you.

The Precision 690 has the following:

Intel 5000X Chipset

Ram
8 DIMM Slots on 750W Chassis (up to 32GB)
16 DIMM Slots on 1KW Chassis (up to 64GB)

Slots
3 PCI-e x8 slot wired as x4
1 PCI-e x16 graphics slot // 2 PCI-e x16 graphics slots on 1KW chassis
2 PCI-X 64bit/100MHz slots with support for 3.3v or universal cards
1 PCI 32bit/33Mhz slot

Bays
4 internal 3.5" hard disk drive bays
3 external 5.25" optical bays, one of which can accommodate a fifth HDD
1 external 3.5" flex bay for floppy or media card reader

Standard I/O Ports
8 USB 2.0: two on front panel, five on back panel, one internal on motherboard
2 IEEE 1394a: one front, one rear
2 serial, 1 parallel, 2 PS/2, 1 RJ-45, Stereo line-in and headphone line-out (on back panel)
Microphone and headphone connector (on front panel)

Full specs http://www.dell.com/content/products...~section=specs

markus44uk - Digi needs to update their page. Foxcon motherboard is supported for HD PCIe on WinXP. Precision 690 works but isn't listed as being qualified for PCIe, only PCI-X. That's nuts! It's a great machine!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Only problem is, all the top motherboard manufacvturers seem to be holding onto PCI/PCI-X for dear life, for some incredibly inane reason (yes, I know- "Legacy! We MUST allow for legacy!!!" pffft...life goes on...so do I...)
Some of us don't like buying a new tosater just because the "powers that be" change the wall plug on us. Now, if they would have had a substantial upgrand in power/performance, then sure. But other than an Accel Core, I see no perofrmance gains from the PCIe cards.

I praise the PC world for not leaving those of us who are still paying for our HD systems in the dust! I just bought the Dell 690 and it will fill the bill for quite a long time (3-5 years is my expectation)... once the dual dual cores get too wimpy, swap em out for dual quad cores... boom! 2 more years of life out of the PCI solution.

Nikki, as always my post is meant with the utmost respect.

-s0nguy

Old 02-03-2007, 12:02 AM

Oh, of course Song!
I am simply saying that if Intel is going to make boards, they COULD simply do one that has 4 sequential PCIe slots, and then pop a PCI or PCI-X as th elast slot. Or, they coudl do one of just PCIe, and then leave the others to ASUS to make wild combo types. The entire Mac Pro line is PCIe only. So, what I am looking at is if I want to buy an HD Accel rig NOW, I would much rather invest in PCIe and not worry about what I would be doing in 4 years should I need anothe rmotherboard. I have a feeling it will be the opposite situation then, and who knows what the exchange prices would be at that point! But, I understand those that want to see PCI/PCI-X carry on a bit longer.

I have a line on one that will supposedly work...waiting to hear back on exact model...
Quote:
Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 AM

Solved.

thx for the help.
Quote:
Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 AM

YOu cant just say "solved" and not post any more info!!!

What did you go with?

-s0nguy
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM

Waiting for a model number. Supposedly there is a Foxcon (spelling?) that has 3 PCIe slots next to each other, supports two Intel Xeon CPU's. Soon as I have a model number I will post it.
Quote: