Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2003, 09:10 AM

Default Apogee Rosetta vs. Mytek stereo AD - direct AB !

After a long anxious waiting I got Mytek stereo AD. Now finally I could forget about all the contradictory (and often theoretical) comments, advertisements etc. and simply listen to the naked reality. Having Apogee Rosetta for last two years (as a grand sound quality leap from 001 convertors), I am happy to share the comparison test with Mytek, since I think it would be of great interest to many of you.
Well, taking Mytek AD out of the box is nothing close to impressive. The non-labeled box could be as well used for some biscuits and inside there is no manual at all, not a single piece of paper reminding that we receive some sophisticated equipment from some company. Just a power cord. OK. The device itself would probably be a loser at any beauty contest, since it realy does not look very pretty, just some black small box with dark blue front pannel with extremely tiny letters and numbers, without any special touch of sophisticated design... Still OK, it is not a piece of jewelery in the end...
I switched on my pair of Millennia Origins and prepared two pairs of Schoeps and Neumann U87 (hopefully quite high-end chain for this test). I listened on Genelecs 1030 with Apogee mini DAC hooked on. I started with my voice. I used exactly the same mic and preamp adjustment (both solid state and tube) and just changed the ADs. Well, to my big surprise the difference was huge. The voice through Mytek was full, with nice, very open high end and full of details. Rosetta's voice sounded a bit darker, more tight, as if a bit "muffled" comparing to it. Maybe more decent ? Maybe not ? Then I tried a flute with a pair of Schoeps. Again the same thing - Rosetta's flute was OK (as I was used to all the time), but with Mytek it suddenly opened a lot, as if I removed some cap from the mic. It was not kind of "hyped" at all - it sounded fully, just smiling, present and natural. Back to Rosetta - kind of "muffled" I would say. Then I tried guitar on stereo Schoeps. Already guessed what will happen ... Not only that Mytek's guitar sounded with much more tembre (very close to reality) but also the stereo image and feeling of space was a bit greater. Then I tried viola, violin, viola d'amore etc. Well, as you can already guess, Mytek always brought more air to the sound, more space, more details and more presence. More natural ... Rosetta was a bit more narrow in the tembre spectrum comparing Mytek. I wonder - has Mytek some extended high end frequency or Rosetta lacks something there ? Maybe someone could still prefer Rosetta's sound, as it has some "character". Mytek howerer seems to be very close to the pure reality ... I don't think that the high frequency is boosted. It is simply as it is.
I ended the test with very elevated feeling. It sounds great !!!!!!!! My recording chain got the missing link ! I want the things to sound with a stamp of pure reality, if I want adjust, I will do it later. Mytek can offer exactly this. It is a big pleasure now to play and to listen what was recorded. No more excuse and half- satisfied feeling.
I am tempted to say that the quality leap between Rosetta and Mytek is the same distance as between 001 convertors and Rosetta.
The only thing I don't understand is the output level button. Whether I put it on minimum or maximum, the output level remains the same, it has nothing to with it. I must ask Michal about it.
The result of the test ? I am selling Rosetta tomorrow (being grateful for its reliable service for the last years) and ordering another Mytek.
Well, looking at it right now, resting on the top of my rack, it does not look ugly any more. It is actually quite a nice fellow ))