Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 10:48 AM

Default BUG: The operating system held interrups for too long !!!!

I am extremely dissatisfied with my current PT LE setup (latest version on 003R). For month, I am getting the every same error message over and over again: The operating system held interrups for too long. Playback/Recording stops at any moment, impossible to predict.
I am on a MacPro 2x2,66Ghz machine, my CPU usage barely gets over 10%. I have been troubleshooting for weeks, over and over again, on my own or with the help of my local dealer. Last thing I did was to install a complete new OS X on a new HD an reinstalling PT. So far so good, the new system worked (for three weeks) !! But all my plug-ins had to be re-installed and re-authorized (which is sheer hell!). Since I've done this (two days ago), the problem is back again, removing the new plug-ins and general troubleshooting doesn't help at all, just like 2 months ago.

What is wrong? Does anybody have any clue?

Mac Pro 2x2,66GHz
3 GB RAM
PT 7.4cs2
003 Rack
DUC Troubleshooting guide done twice at least, step by step.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Re: BUG: The operating system held interrups for too long !!

Hi,
There are several threads on this if you do a search. I have had this problem since getting my 003. It is random and as yet unsolvable. I have tried every troubleshooting tip and spoken to Tech support. I though I'd solved it by reducing RTAS processors and maximum CPu usage, but it hasn't worked. I don't really know what to do next.
Ian
Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Last thing I did was to install a complete new OS X on a new HD an reinstalling PT.
(Emphasis added)

What new OS? Leopard is not supported yet for LE systems... although there are many mixed user experiences reported on this forum.

If you are on Tiger, have you tried calling Digi tech support?
http://www.BrentFrederickMusic.com
Old 02-15-2008, 03:23 PM

No mention here of using a second internal drive or external drive to record to, if your trying to use your OSX system drive to also record your Pro Tools audio to then theres your problem!

Cheers
Old 02-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Re: BUG: The operating system held interrups for too long !!!!

yeah, ditto, what OS are you running? and by saying you installed it on a new hard drive, do you mean you are running it off a different hard drive than your original system drive as in you replaced your original system drive. Is the original system drive still in the computer? What version of OSX were you running to begin with, on the old drive? Also are you 10000000000% sure you aren't running any non-Universal or non-Intel plugins? Go into your plugins folder and control click on every single plugin and choose, "Get Info" to verify that they all say either Universal or Intel. If they DON'T then drag the non-Intel ones into you unused Plugin folder and try running a session. Also have you tried running any sessions with the ORIGINAL 1GB of RAM that came with your machine? You should still be able to run some hefty sessions with 1GB of RAM as long as you don't have huge soft synth's running. I ran PT LE with 1GB for almost a year, running HUGE sessions with only minimal "Operating System held off..." errors. If the sessions run smooth without the aftermarket (assuming you didn't get the RAM from APPLE here) RAM installed, then load another GB in there for a total of 2GB and run the same sessions. If it kicks off errors, then that might be a bad stick, try the other stick in its place and see what happens. Try to rule out if on of those sticks is bad. Heck even if throws off errors with the original 1GB, take it out and try some of the other RAM, maybe the original memory is sketchy. There are a lot of variables to try. Firewire cable? Firewire port? Sometimes the 002/003 likes to reside on the Front Port or Vice Versa. Also what are you using for Hard Drives? External? Internal? On the system drive, hopefully not. If external does it have an Oxford 911 chip? How big is it? Is it almost full, half full, etc? Have you repaired disc permissions? If running 10.4.9 have you downloaded and installed the Pre-Binding Script? Getting Pro Tools LE to play nicely and smoothly all the time is a full time job. If you can answer every question I have in this post, and try every suggestion... and it's still not working right, then you have a problem. Post back here with as much info as you can give.