Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2023, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2023 and Mac Studio Ultra M2 graphic issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
and just to make sure you have HDX and not HD?
HDX with 2 HDX cards in the Sonnox box and using Pro Tools ultimate. Right now I am not using the Hybrid engine for these 2 features I am working on. I will use the Hybrid in another film I am working on which has massive sound effects and design. I don't know if Hybrid is any better.

There are other issues not only with Pro Tools but with other plugins that are supposed to be Silicon ready.

In Pro Tools I am finding a lot of buggy issues with Eucon (using artist control). For example, some of the artist soft keys on the artist screen will not light up when pressed, others will light up as expected. Eucon continues to disconnect, it has happened 4 times this week, where the Eucon connection green light turns red...oddly enough, when this happens some eucon functions still work..very strange.

Is there a way I can upload Avid a screen recording of some of these issues? I cant be the only one seeing this.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:00 AM

I'm running PT23.6 on a M1 MacStudio but no HDX.

At first I had major issues connecting 3 Monitors. I tried at least 5 different adapters and docks until I found a working USB-C to DVI adapter.
I remember having graphic glitches as well and read somewhere to turn off the "Enable GPU" option in the PT preferences.
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 11-13-2023, 06:42 AM

HDX, 2 cards in Sonnex Echo 3, with PT Ultra
Old 11-13-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
I'm running PT23.6 on a M1 MacStudio but no HDX.

At first I had major issues connecting 3 Monitors. I tried at least 5 different adapters and docks until I found a working USB-C to DVI adapter.
I remember having graphic glitches as well and read somewhere to turn off the "Enable GPU" option in the PT preferences.
Which USB-C to DVI adapter did you find working?
Old 11-13-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Which USB-C to DVI adapter did you find working?
I tried the enable GPU in the preferences both ways, no change.

I use 2 desktop 32" monitors. One is connected to the HDMI output of the Mac, the other I bought a USBc to HDMI cable adaptor ($20) and they both work. I see the graphic glitches on both screens, the HDMI and the USBc adaptor so I don't think is the computer. At the same time, I can play video on the film at 1920X1080 Pro Res on the same screens and that video is perfectly smooth, no issues at all. Audio is also not affected at all, no stuttering, or sync issues, nothing, is just the graphics in Pro Tools. I need to do a lot of trouble shooting, but I am too busy now, so I'll do it when I have time off (in my next life).

My other monitors, the client large screen and my mini desktop viewer are connected to my Blackmagic Decklink card that resolved the system to video ref.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:24 AM

I found the HDMI-32" was my issue with Graphic offset.
Switched main monitor to a TB3 to dual HDMI by Startech
This is the Main display 32" 4K @ 2K Rez plus a 24" 1080
3rd Display 24" 1080 now off the built in HDMI (Go Figure)
Mac Studio Ultra M1 Pro Tools HDX1 2023.6
Old 11-13-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
I found the HDMI-32" was my issue with Graphic offset.
Switched main monitor to a TB3 to dual HDMI by Startech
This is the Main display 32" 4K @ 2K Rez plus a 24" 1080
3rd Display 24" 1080 now off the built in HDMI (Go Figure)
Mac Studio Ultra M1 Pro Tools HDX1 2023.6

I don't have any graphic 'sync issues' in any of my displays. My issues are graphic glitches. I am now running native on silicon and not via rosetta- I think I am seeing an improvement- the system is crazy fast However, I just started the new feature and will know know for sure for a while. I am using some very intensive CPU usage real time, look ahead, AI software and I am running 1% CPU. That plugin - one instance- would crash my 5,1 that had 128 RAM. I can now put 20 instances of that plugin (not that I need to) and not make a dent in the CPU...!

There are still a lot of plugins that are not fully compatible with silicon, so these may be causing issues. I dumped Altiverb and Speakerphone until they make them 100% compatible. I am also trying to get an upgrade for my McDSP SA2 to run full silicon, otherwise Ill find another de-esser. Soundly also has a component that is not yet ready for silicon but I am told it will be available shortly. I am starting to think my issues are rosetta realted...not sure yet.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:45 PM

I have an identical machine with a single HDX card. I flick between rosetta and silicon for plugins so have used both a lot. No real performance difference that I've noticed - but my sessions aren't enormous. It'll still stop playback when some plugins are loaded on track - even if it's the only track in the session - but that's the only error that occurs. Flawless otherwise. Only eucon problem (with S1's) is a fader occasionally forgets to kick in. Using two displays, thunderbolt-hdmi 4k and hdmi-hdmi 1080p. No problems with either.

Always possible the machine has an issue?
Old 11-13-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
On the iLok disconnecting issue:

Make sure you have the latest version of ILM installed. Try removing as many unneeded connected peripherals as you can. I would try plugging the iLok into it's own dedicated port on the Mac and also try running off a powered USB or Thunderbolt hub/dock (I'd personally mostly trust a good Thunderbolt dock, like one of the large ones from OWC).

There are some known problems with Thunderbolt and USB on Mac Studios including USB devices disconnecting. Make sure your system is fully optimized. Make sure all the normal do not sleep/power of settings are set and also disable any other forms of sleeping/monitor power off, including System Settings>Displays>Advanced "prevent automatic sleeping on power adapter when the display is off" is enabled.
I'll say that the USB power issue isn't just with the new Macs. I was having a problem with it on my 5,1 and realized that when my webcam was plugged into an active USB cable it would happen.
The stream deck foot switch needs to be directly connected to a USB port, but works with the Active cable and there are no problems.

Darryl is right though. USB hubs should ALWAYS be powered. Plug it in because it isn't drawing power from the computer.

Don't forget Sonnet for docks either.
I prefer this for my MBP.
https://www.sonnetstore.com/collecti...olt4-hdmi-dock

These USB hubs are very solid. No power supply hard wired to the hub.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you need an active USB extension
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation...93&sr=8-3&th=1

With this, there is no need for direct USB connection for iLok. I have 4 on my 2nd 13 port USB hub and they are fine.
I have a 7 port in the closet with all my drives on it including a 4 drive USB OWC chassis with 4 SSDs in on one port. And 4 drives pulling from the hub.
3rd hub on my desk top in which I can plug in multiple SSD drives.

But to do this, you will need to get a Dock. Everything works better when it has its own power, sans a single SSD drive.

THIS, is important that Darryl points out.

Quote:
prevent automatic sleeping on power adapter when the display is off" is enabled.
Almost every plugin
Old 11-14-2023, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicake View Post
I have an identical machine with a single HDX card. I flick between rosetta and silicon for plugins so have used both a lot. No real performance difference that I've noticed - but my sessions aren't enormous. It'll still stop playback when some plugins are loaded on track - even if it's the only track in the session - but that's the only error that occurs. Flawless otherwise. Only eucon problem (with S1's) is a fader occasionally forgets to kick in. Using two displays, thunderbolt-hdmi 4k and hdmi-hdmi 1080p. No problems with either.

Always possible the machine has an issue?
Not sure how to check if the machine has an issue. If I run the blackmagic speed test is crazy fast. I also did the digi test test and the cards pass all tests. Last night I ran it without rosetta - for about 5 minutes only- and dumped all the non-silicon plugs and so far it is a lot better. It is considerably faster and so far, "no graphic glitches". I will try it all day in a real session and really see if it was a rosetta thing. I am cascading about 60 tracks in blue mode to print stems, 5.1, and stereo in one pass.