Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2023, 01:22 AM

Default Best current simple video out solution

Hey all,

I've recently had a few jobs where I need to run picture, which is something I've not had to do for a while.
Back when I had my 2010 Mac Pro I used a Blackmagic Intensity (buggy and unreliable) and then I replaced that with a very expensive AJA PCIe option (great but really expensive and over specced for my needs)

I'm now on a newer system (Mac Pro 2019) and I've been running video to a TV just connected to the HDMI port on the Mac Pro...Which I guess is sort of fine. But I'd rather have a dedicated option rather than the Mac see two screens.

I've looked into a few options, but I wondered if you guys had any thoughts.

I was going to get an AJA T-Tap, but it's now discontinued, and its replacement appears to be £1500

Blackmagic were always buggy for me in the past, but that obviously may well have changed.

I don't need anything remotely complicated as I'm a composer (rather than needing any kind of special sync capabilities), and all the options I can find seem to be massively over spec for my needs.

Any thoughts...? What are you guys using?

I guess it would be great if there were a software option to utilise the HDMI port I already have (rather than having the Mac use it as a second desktop)... Does that exist?

Thanks in advance!!
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 06-27-2023, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Best current simple video out solution

I've been running a BM Decklink SDI (plus a cheap 40€ SDI to HDMI converter) for many years (as SDI is so much easier to extend than flakey long HDMI cables. Has been rock solid for me (also AVID uses rebranded BM so the driver recommendations on the avid site is helpful to flag issues).

A co-worker is using it (the current Decklink SDI 4k version) in his 2019 MP as well and it runs fine. It also has genlock unlike the cheaper TB-based boxes. The Decklink SDI is by far the cheapest genlockable option I think (300ish $). Everything else is 1k or above) and since you have PCIe it would be an interesting option.

I have no experience with the cheap TB HDMI boxes in the MP2019

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 06-27-2023 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:32 AM

Thanks Frank... Appreciate that.

On paper, the Blackmagic Intensity (or any of their PCIe offerings) look like an interesting solution... Sounds like my concerns with the flakiness of the Blackmagic drivers might be out of date?
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 06-27-2023, 03:43 AM

If you don't need anything special a BM Decklink mini monitor will run fine, cheap $130,- pci card (bit more for 4K).

There have been lots of driver issues in the past combined with Protools but currently all is sailing smooth, even without genlock.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:39 AM

Yep, BM had a few issues years ago with a couple of driver version but in recent years it has been totally solid. Also check the AVID page on driver versions. Good thing is that they test them as their stuff is re-branded BM hardware as far as I know so at least you can check out which ones combine with your version.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...eo-Peripherals

Those versions are essentially the BM desktop version numbers AFAIK. v11.5 and v11.6 have sync issues but are long deprecated.
Old 07-03-2023, 12:57 PM

I’m still using the TTap with no issues what so ever on a brand new M2 MacBook Pro via a thunderbolt adapter.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:00 PM

I really dont understand why we cant get NDI @ avid. It works on media composer. like why? we've been in this remote world for 3 years now. Clearview flex is great and I love it at the studio but I cant always carry a box around with me and have every locations IT department on speed dial. Sometimes I need a quick and easy zoom solution. Screen recording anything doesnt work. Including ever-cast. Give us an NDI option please. sell it. Whatever. It needed to happen 2 years ago.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:08 PM

Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Monitor 3G works great for $125. Personally, I'm using the Recorder version, but I recommended the monitor version for a friend and it is working great for him.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-De...s%2C170&sr=8-3
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 08-01-2023, 11:19 PM

Just get a used Aja LHi card (which is one of the top one) for $80 and call it a day. You will never look back at the BM cards.
I use mine for more than 10 years with removed (loud) fan from it with zero problems in any aspect. Drivers have never been an issue with Aja.
Sorry Frank

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 08-02-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Just get a used Aja LHi card[/URL] (which is one of the top one) for $80 and call it a day. You will never look back at the BM cards.
I use mine for more than 10 years with removed (loud) fan from it with zero problems in any aspect. Drivers have never been an issue with Aja.
Sorry Frank
Are they that cheap now? I only mentioned the BM box in my earlier post because its only $125 new. But my main output is an AJA Kona LHi, and has been for 10 years, too. GREAT card.

Very reliable company. In fact, I bought mine used, and the fan was really loud, so I contacted AJA, and they insisted on replacing the card for free, even though I bought it used. There are a batch for a short time that had bad fans, and they didn't want them to exist in the wild. Thats good customer service! I was so impressed, I sent them a thank you card afterwards.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment