Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2022, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elangab View Post
So, it's more of a Bug fix/New OS builds compatibility/push for subscription release?

I don't see anything new, other than the keyboard shortcut mapper. Am I missing something?
Please see avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/readme/Pro-Tools-2022-4-Release-Notes for the list of changes.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release

So - based on limited information, am I right in thinking that anyone currently using Pro Tools Standard (now called Studio), gets a boon of Ultimate features; but anyone (like me) who is largely just a music mixer running HD Native with Ultimate, gets a load of third party software for major studio's and post houses that we don't need, but get's a price hike?

I'm assuming Avid insisting HD Native users have 'Flex' is entirely based on the fact that people like me would have downgraded to Pro Tools Studio otherwise. Pretty ****ty move if you ask me - feels like my hand is being forced into paying for features I don't need simply for owning their hardware, whilst giving all the features I was actually paying for to the lower tier for free...
Old 04-26-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Shouldn't Pro Tools Ultimate be renamed to Pro Tools Penultimate ?
Penultimate is not the most ultimate, rather, the next to last or one less than ultimate.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-26-2022, 11:55 AM

Default So if I want to downgrade what happens?

In my case I have a home studio that I tinker in. It doesnt make me money just makes me happy and I treat it as my hobby. I was happy paying $99 a year for the subscription and was not thrilled when it jumped to 199. Now from what I read its going to be 399 unless my prior subscription is grandfathered in. Im a bit bummed that they again capped the tracks at 32 for the base level subscription since they had upped it to 64 last year I think. I certainly dont need atmos or hundreds of tracks. What happens if I decide to downgrade and how is that going to work? Clean install? Thanks in advance. PD

Last edited by jeffro; 04-26-2022 at 01:05 PM. Reason: https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2634274
Old 04-26-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Allen View Post
So - based on limited information, am I right in thinking that anyone currently using Pro Tools Standard (now called Studio), gets a boon of Ultimate features; but anyone (like me) who is largely just a music mixer running HD Native with Ultimate, gets a load of third party software for major studio's and post houses that we don't need, but get's a price hike?

I'm assuming Avid insisting HD Native users have 'Flex' is entirely based on the fact that people like me would have downgraded to Pro Tools Studio otherwise. Pretty ****ty move if you ask me - feels like my hand is being forced into paying for features I don't need simply for owning their hardware, whilst giving all the features I was actually paying for to the lower tier for free...
The licensing at all levels was always wonky. Especially because you cant cancel at any time, you have to complete a year. Adobe does this too. I hate it.

I bought a carbon, which came at the time with a year of PT. I was already a subscriber of PT, so it tacked on the free year at the end of my current years billing cycle (Now expires in 2023). Then they gave me a free copy of Ultimate with a year of support, but they started that the moment I claimed it. So now I have 2 free years of software running in parallel, which is super lame. I would much rather have had these in series so I didnt have to pay anything for 2 years. Now they both expire at the same time. Waste....

I cant wait to see the catastrophe of my licensing and billing when this all rolls over in a year.

Last edited by jeffro; 04-26-2022 at 01:09 PM. Reason: https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2634277
Old 04-26-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Penultimate is not the most ultimate, rather, the next to last or one less than ultimate.
my point exactly.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchase View Post
I have these questions too. Is there a good "feature chart" tick box anywhere of what is and isn't included in each version?
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison is updated (if the website will cooperate!).
Old 04-26-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Allen View Post
So - based on limited information, am I right in thinking that anyone currently using Pro Tools Standard (now called Studio), gets a boon of Ultimate features
I'm not sure what Ultimate features they get? Some increased track counts... was Carbon compatible before? Not sure what else...

EDIT - surround mixing! Missed that.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-26-2022, 12:06 PM

Thanks for posting that Jeffro. Glad the site is back up so we can have a proper look. Sadly, from what I can see - it's what I thought for someone like me who doesn't need post-features, but who has an HD Native system... all the features I need (advanced automation/Atmos etc) are now in Pro Tools Studio, but I have to have Flex, purely because of the expensive interface I own.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I'm not sure what Ultimate features they get? Some increased track counts... was Carbon compatible before? Not sure what else...
64 IO, higher track count, and atmos are the big ones.

However, a quick run of 2022.4 on my system was pretty discouraging. Extremely unstable/inefficient. Rolled back to an old version. Will I still benefit from these added features on the old software version? What happens when my renewal comes up in a couple months and I'm stuck here using a year and a half old version of Pro Tools because I need a stable work environment?