Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 PM

Default WD MyBook Drive?

I have been running PTLE 6.2.3 on a 12" Powerbook G4 for a number of years without trouble. My chain is basically 002r->LaCie d2->Powerbook G4 on a single firewire port.

In the past two weeks I have had several minor crashes (twice during record on one session and during playback on another) accompanied by an error message saying that "PT can't get audio from the drive fast enough - drive is too fragmented" or something like this. Mind you, the drive was freshly formatted last night, so fragmentation can't be the cause.

I am guessing it's possible that my LaCie d2 is finally giving up the ghost, so I am considering replacing it.

Someone mentioned the LaCie Porche drive, but my gut tells me it's too slow to run 16-track sessions. Anyone working with these?

Has anyone had any luck with the Western Digital My Book drives?

Is there anything else that could be the culprit? Bad cable? I have not stripped down my system drive ever.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: WD MyBook Drive?

I don't know how to diagnose your problem, but I do have a LaCie Porsche drive 80g 7200 rpm firewire. I run it off a similar system, with either my 002 or an mbox into my powerbook g4 17inch. I have had absolutely no problems with the drive being able to handle it. The most tracks I have done is about 24, with up to about 14 or 15 at one time, with no problems. Sorry I don't know more about the other problem, but I have nothing but good things to say about the hard drive. It has been good to me for about a year and a half.

Good luck,

Phil
Old 07-27-2007, 05:27 AM

For whatever it's worth, I bought one of these drives, and then promptly returned it after I called Western Digital only to find out that are no longer using the Oxford chipset in their drives.

Just a heads-up,
Jeff
Apogee Quartet, Eleven Rack, 003, Command|8, OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dual-Drive Dock, OWC Mercury Electra 480 GB 6G SSD, OWC Mercury Elite Pro 250 GB 7200 RPM HDD
Old 07-27-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
I have been running PTLE 6.2.3 on a 12" Powerbook G4 for a number of years without trouble. My chain is basically 002r->LaCie d2->Powerbook G4 on a single firewire port.

In the past two weeks I have had several minor crashes (twice during record on one session and during playback on another) accompanied by an error message saying that "PT can't get audio from the drive fast enough - drive is too fragmented" or something like this. Mind you, the drive was freshly formatted last night, so fragmentation can't be the cause.

I am guessing it's possible that my LaCie d2 is finally giving up the ghost, so I am considering replacing it.

Someone mentioned the LaCie Porche drive, but my gut tells me it's too slow to run 16-track sessions. Anyone working with these?

Has anyone had any luck with the Western Digital My Book drives?

Is there anything else that could be the culprit? Bad cable? I have not stripped down my system drive ever.
I use a western digital external hard drive with digi 002 on intel imc. Works fine, would probably by another one, but read digi's support page on hard drive specifications first
Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 AM

I have had very little luck using WD MyBook firewire drives on Windows computers. The USB port works OK, but I have tried several different times to get the firewire part to work on my Windows machines without any success. If you hope to use the drive to share sessions between Windows and Mac computers I would avoid the WD MyBook drives.

Other's experience may vary. If you plan on only using it on a Mac I don't know how well they work.

James

002, ProTools 7.3.1cs5, MacBook Pro
Strike, Structure LE, Xpand, McDSP, Reason
More money than talent!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:11 PM

FWIW, I have 2 of the triple interface .5Tb MyBooks. One on the MBP, and one on the PPC tower. Haven't had any problems with either! Both are connected via FW, and run without hitch.
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 07-27-2007, 03:30 PM

I tried a firewire WD Mybook drive last year... After copying a session over and trying to load it from the drive, PT does not start. Too long ago to remember the error thrown. Also, a newly created session would not work properly if disk allocation was set to the Mybook drive. If I recall correctly, PT would crash immediately upon pressing record.

This was mentioned earlier in this thread - these drives do not use the any of the approved Oxford chipsets. Unfortunately, WD doesn't make this information easy to find.

Note that I have several other working Firewire drives in my setup, so my problems with this line of HD were not related to my PT setup.

Good luck!
http://www.BrentFrederickMusic.com
Old 07-28-2007, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the info everybody

Anyone else using the Porsche drives? How about the Maxtor One Touch Drives?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 AM

I have two Maxtor one touch original drives, the FW only models. They're great, i've been using them for several years, they're quick, quiet and very reliable.

Too be honest nowadays i'd recommend buying an OWC firewire enclosure and then installing an IDE drive of your choice. I'm currently using Hitachi travelstars and they're great drives, seagate are good too.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2007, 09:01 PM

Just picked up a WDMyBook 1TB and you can run it without RAID

I haven't tested RAID 0 or 1 with PTLE but I can at some point and see if it works ok.