Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2002, 02:17 PM

Default Who\'s Not Upgrading to 5.3 and XP Yet?

With all the new posts Buzzing with excitement over 5.3 and XP all over the duc, who out there is staying put For now, or for good?

With all the hell I went through getting my W98 bug free and the valueble creative/recording time I waisted doing so, I just dont think I have it in me to start that all over again.(some plugs will work, some wont work,etc.) I just want to finish my projects without battling my PC all over again. I think I'm gonna lay low and keep an eye out on how things are going out there. What do you think?

Just a thought. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2002, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Who\'s Not Upgrading to 5.3 and XP Yet?

I am definatly willing to going thrrough the hassle of upgrading, because it will give me 8 tracks more, and probably a better system....

Have to wait till the end of the month though....i have to buy winXP and i want an extra harddisk.......

Bastiaan
Old 06-21-2002, 02:22 PM

I'm not in a hurry to upgrade either. I have some issues with the security problems in XP, and I feel for you on the PC config battle. My install of 98 has worked fine for me (I've had some PT issues, but not a problem from 98) and even when I do feel bored enough to start optimizing a new OS, I'll keep my other install just to make sure I can get some work done when I need to.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 06-21-2002, 02:23 PM

I´m staying put for now, gonna finish up the projects I´m doing first.....

I have a PII/933, I´m not sure if xp will make my machine run better than Me.....

I do want the 32 tracks though!!!

jorge

www.abacomusic.com
Old 06-21-2002, 02:38 PM

Waiting until I finish building my new 'studio' in my basement. Gives me time to have everyone work out the bugs for me too! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I will be updating the moment I reboot in the new space.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:46 PM

Everythings fine to me, still with 98SE. Like I said somewhere else, I have no probs worth mentioning at the mo' with 98Se, and I love it that I have Internet Explorer torn out of it. This decreased the load on my system considerably, and there is no way doing that with Win XP, and I don't think there will be. It comes down to the fact that I give this little tweak priority over having a better OS. Like others, I invested a lot of time in my 98SE setup, and as I'm not even using 40 % of all PT's capabilities, why bother.....? Break my neck if you want to, but I have my doubts about XP being so perfect for DAW's. Then again, my productivitylevel is around zero right now, and I don't have so much knowledge and experience that I can underbuild my reserves towards XP. There's still enough for me to learn from PTLE 5.1.1 though, so there's no immediate need for me to upgrade.
Voideco

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ReniuR:
I'm not in a hurry to upgrade either. I have some issues with the security problems in XP, and I feel for you on the PC config battle. My install of 98 has worked fine for me (I've had some PT issues, but not a problem from 98) and even when I do feel bored enough to start optimizing a new OS, I'll keep my other install just to make sure I can get some work done when I need to.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dont understand where people think that win 98 is more secure then xp. Thats a ridiculous statement at its best. Win 98 isnt even really made for networking, what kind of security are you thinking it provides??? I am getting tired of all these folks acting like win 98 is a great product, and better then the newest operating system from ms even though its well over 4 years old.

I also dont understand how your pt problems may not have been caused by win 98. Anytime i had run time errors, driver errors etc, i feel pretty safe in saying its because of win 98 not because of pt (as pt is running without these type of problems on macs).

Digi released this patch as an update, do you think for a second that your system will suck once you install it??? Comon people grow up. Windows has moved past win 98, digi has moved past pt 5.1, either live in the past or move with them.

i am tired of hearing all this hoopla from people that
a) either dont know what they are talking about (heard it from a friend of a friend of a worker at a university that told them so)

or

b) just want to find something else to complain about.

Pt is a great product, xp is a great product, and guess what they work great together. I know because i have been using both for nearly 5 months now.

Christian
Old 06-21-2002, 03:25 PM

I'm waiting to finish my basement studio which should be completed in two months.

In addition, I just got my Digi two days ago, so I can play around with the PTools system (on WinME) before I format my HDs and tweak the PC to go full-steam ahead.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:25 PM

Chris,

the truth is out! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2002, 03:44 PM

I just KNEW somebody would come out of the woodwork and flame me for stating that XP has security problems. Think what you will, but XP DOES have security issues that are not part of 98 BECAUSE of the networking aspects of XP. When you have more networking options available, that will automaticly open doors that can be exploited.

Plus, as somebody else pointed out re 2000, how much more stable do you expect it to be since there have been more service packs and security updates on their other OS's so far?

"Digi released this patch as an update, do you think for a second that your system will suck once you install it??? "

No. I'm not saying that ANY of it would be digi's fault. But could it be a possibility that they pushed for XP support because it's the current OS from MS? or because sooo many of you had been screaming for it for how long now?

I would appreciate being able to speak my opinion without being called stupid in so many words. Just because you may have been a beta tester doesn't give you the right to say that XP is the end-all-be-all for PTLE. Use what you want, and let others use what they want WITHOUT belittling them for doing so.

Thank You.

www.disposableproductions.com