Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2013, 03:34 AM

Default What's missing in PT11?

So it's been out for several weeks now, what features, options, controllers, etc need to be added?

As a long term Control 24 user I would have to add a controller driver so I can join the party....come on Avid my money is waiting.

What else?

Cheers Scotsman
Old 08-18-2013, 07:40 AM

Default Re: What's missing in PT11?

Hi Scotsman,

what is missing in PT11?

For us, it kills our tapeless Workflow, is that we can't import audio from a MXF Videofile.

AVID uses the Media Composer Video Engine in Pro Tools , but not the audio import Funktionalität?

So we can't move to PT 11 with our 11 HD Systems.

regards

Jochen
Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
So it's been out for several weeks now, what features, options, controllers, etc need to be added?

As a long term Control 24 user I would have to add a controller driver so I can join the party....come on Avid my money is waiting.

What else?

Cheers Scotsman
Pro Control drivers have also been left out of PT11 so these controllers will not work. What's with that?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Of course there is no support for RTAS or TDM plug-ins any more. So any of your older plug-ins that have not been updated to support the new AAX format will be history.

This is a good reason to have a co-install with Pro Tools 10 so that you can open your older sessions, or interchange with other users who are still using PT10 with some of these legacy plug-ins.

The larger issue of course (as previously mentioned by other DUC'ers earlier in this thread) is the deliberate choice to remove functionality and support for those customers who have purchased Avid's former flagship control surfaces - Control|24 and Pro Control. Unlike the need to drop RTAS and TDM support, which simply cannot run on the new engine, the drivers for Control|24 and Pro Control are very simple and could have easily been included (as was done with the driver for the Command|8). A control surface is basically a giant mouse with linear and rotary encoders, and is not dependent on DSP architecture.

Even though the discussion of this valid subject became one of the hottest threads in the history of the DUC - the administration staff at Avid decided to hide the thread in a less prominent forum so that Pro Tools 11 customers would be completely unaware of the disgusting way in which other customers are being treated. (The reason behind this decision is probably because many customers will never buy an Avid control surface once they see that it can be arbitrarily broken at some point in the future). The admin staff have even snidely attempted to explain away the moving of the thread as some kind of "help" - even though the true motive is obvious.

So if you are thinking about buying an Avid control surface for Pro Tools 11 - think again. There are two perfectly good drivers missing from Pro Tools 11, and it might happen to you too if you purchase one.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Our experience with PT 11 HD has been rather positive.

Running strong on a Mid 2012 Mbp retina 8G ram and our main control room: Mac pro 2.8 (2010) 16G ram.

With the ability to co-install we do have the best of both worlds regarding old rtas / tdm plug ins, vocal tuning etc . . . and the ability to offline bounce in 11HD.

I've mixed about 3 large projects using 11, of course using the avail aax2 plug ins.

At least for us 11 is a time saver.

BTW: we have been watching the Control 24 issue pretty closely since the release of PT10. We heard then that the last release for this control surface would be 10. Fortunately we were able to trade it in to our local dealer for about 40% of original investment in 2005. (not bad for 8 years of service-definitely paid for itself over many times).

We were able to replace the Control 24 with a used mc control, mc mix combo - which seem to be working good with the latest eucon software.

Hopefully there will not be a future software conflict with the HD10 / HD11 co-install concept, because it looks like our shop might be in a holding pattern until the major plug bundles that we own make it to aax2.

have a good day :)

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM

See that there are midi problems reported by some, which were fine in PT10?

Anything else?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM

The Eleven Rack GUI is obviously missing and has been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

I'm mentioning it again here in the hope of it being implemented soon since there has still been no official statement (that I'm aware of) saying it will be.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-23-2013, 03:22 PM

Still missing all the Control24 and Pro Control users.....

Plus a raft of plugins, like Waves, Echo farm....

So must also admit since Waves are 50% of my mainstay plugins, it's another reason to stay put.

Cheers Scotsman
Old 08-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Still missing all the Control24 and Pro Control users.....
+1
Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
So must also admit since Waves are 50% of my mainstay plugins, it's another reason to stay put.
Or an opportunity to discover new and better plugs.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.