Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Protools 8 LE on slower G5....

hi

i am currently working on Logic 8 , after allmost 10 years of protools, i decided to try something new , but after using protools in a studio - i remembered what made me fall in love with protools in the first place , but since i have no $$$ for a new mac pro at the moment , i was wondering if anyone has tried PT8 on a G5 single (with lots of Ram....) or something equivalent ...and if it works as well as Pt7.4 works ,

Thanks in Advance

AEK
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 01-10-2009, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Protools 8 LE on slower G5....

Hi.

Sorry this is not a reply to you post, but i also have a G5 1.8 and was thinking of buying an mbox2 mini. So 7.4 works well on this setup does it? Has it been stable? Are you able to track with a very low latency? Used any guitar amp sim?

Thanks

G
Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
hi

i am currently working on Logic 8 , after allmost 10 years of protools, i decided to try something new , but after using protools in a studio - i remembered what made me fall in love with protools in the first place , but since i have no $$$ for a new mac pro at the moment , i was wondering if anyone has tried PT8 on a G5 single (with lots of Ram....) or something equivalent ...and if it works as well as Pt7.4 works ,

Thanks in Advance

AEK
While the reports out there are saying PT8 seems to be running as good if not better than 7.4 as far as power consumption, Leopard is going to be your biggest enemy in the scenario. Leopard no doubt uses more processor and RAM than Tiger did. Maybe look into loading a couple more gig of RAM at least. I would also buy a new Hard drive and load Leopard and PT 8 on a nice fresh drive in your second hard drive slot. Then you can test it's performance and still have your old system drive to revert back to if you have issues. To me, it is worth $150 for PT8 to try it and see...

My guess is that your performance in Logic might still be a bit better now than PT8 and Leopard will be, but once you save up for a Mac Pro it will be GAME ON!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM

well
i took a chance .... a big one.....and i did an update on my G5 , from 10.4.11 to Leopard and then updated to 10.5.5. combo , installed Protools 8 and......
IT WORKS ,
I opened a large session , tried it out and had some fun....
i have noticed a slight difference - in Protools flaw, VU meters are a bit slower when the session has all Tracks playing .... but i guess that having 2 22" screens makes it hard for My G5 1.8 Older graphic pci Card....and maybe another 2 giga would help
But in General , it does work - and it works great , i fell in love with protools Once again , it is clear that the guys at Digidesign - were influenced heavily from Logic 8 - , the resemblance is a little to Clear. but i guess that Logic 8 took some features from Protools and Cubase , so no harm done .
i am saving for a new Macpro , and i really hope it would Run as good As Logic would (or at-least as good as a strong System should run)
i am wondering if digi are going to release a new interface soon - maybe namm 09'
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
i am wondering if digi are going to release a new interface soon - maybe namm 09'
Highly doubtful...