Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2002, 09:13 AM

Default XP/5.3.1 Results (WAS: 6 Days with XP)

OK, so I'm curious. There have certainly been a few public statements about how well and easy the XP upgrade has been for a few, but there have also been a number of threads about problems here and there. So I must ask:

"Who has managed a COMPLETE upgrade to PTLE 5.3.1 under any version of Windows XP and managed to get everything checked out to be working correctly?"

The idea of this request is to get people that have completely transitioned to speak up so we can get some positive pictures. I think it would be helpful to know that:

1) XP upgraded or installed correctly. All the normal stuff (networking, video, sound, etc.) are good.

2) Installation of 5.3.1 done and working correctly AND reliably.

3) All plugins that worked under 98/ME are working under XP UNLESS the manufacturer has specifically stated they don't.

4) If you use soft-synths on your PTLE machine, these have been checked and are working identically or better than under 98/ME.

5) You've bounced wave files from 5.3.1 (multiple formats?) and they are fine.

6) You've burned CDs with wave files created under 5.3.1 and they are fine. No clicks, pops or other surprises. (What software did you use?)

7) All other programs that you had on this machine have been converted to XP successfully.

8) If you were experiencing spontaneous reboots, what's your status so far? Are they gone? Too early to tell?

Assuming you got this far with all yes answers, how much time did you spend to get here, in real hours, and how much money did you spend to get all the updated software? (Windows, et. all)

I most certainly have forgotten many things in the list above, I'm sure, but I think it would be good to get some good news out there about how things are going for at least the lucky ones! Let's collect it here as a start.

Go on, make my day,
Mark
Old 06-25-2002, 09:22 AM

Default Re: XP/5.3.1 Results (WAS: 6 Days with XP)

1) XP upgraded or installed correctly.

YES

2) Installation of 5.3.1 done and working

YES but the wavedriver was a little quirky. Had to reinstall it to get it to work properly

3) All plugins that worked under 98/ME

YES

4) N/A

5) You've bounced wave files

I've have bounced a couple but so far so good. No clicks or pops.

6) You've burned CDs

Everything burns. I use nero. i would stay away from Easy CD (Especially if it worked in 98) on XP. It is known to cause problems.

7) All other programs

Yes

8)N/A

how much time did you spend to get here, in real hours, and how much money did you spend to get all the updated software? (Windows, et. all)

Well because I upgraded my processor and MB (AMD XP1700 w MB for 139 and mushkin 512 ddr) also, it probably took me two hours to get everything up and running. I still have programs that I have not installed yet but PTLE works great. It kicks @$$. I did not have to setup a seperate HD profile, just a user profile for PT. I am really happy with my results.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:25 AM

Great!
Old 06-25-2002, 09:53 AM

"Who has managed a COMPLETE upgrade to PTLE 5.3.1 under any version of Windows XP and managed to get everything checked out to be working correctly?" Me

The idea of this request is to get people that have completely transitioned to speak up so we can get some positive pictures. I think it would be helpful to know that:

1) XP upgraded or installed correctly. All the normal stuff (networking, video, sound, etc.) are good. Yes, all is well. I was actually already dual booting ME/XP Pro so updating the OS was not an issue for this release.

2) Installation of 5.3.1 done and working correctly AND reliably. Yes, however, some minor tweeks had to be done in order to not run out of CPU power opening prior sessions with a lot of plugin's running. All is well now.

3) All plugins that worked under 98/ME are working under XP UNLESS the manufacturer has specifically stated they don't. Yes, with the help of the DUC, setting compatibility of PTLE to Windows 2000, all of my prior plugs work as they did.

4) If you use soft-synths on your PTLE machine, these have been checked and are working identically or better than under 98/ME.N/A

5) You've bounced wave files from 5.3.1 (multiple formats?) and they are fine. Yes

6) You've burned CDs with wave files created under 5.3.1 and they are fine. No clicks, pops or other surprises. (What software did you use?)Yes, it worked just fine. Mastered the Wave file in Wavelabs, and burned in Nero 5.8.7.2

7) All other programs that you had on this machine have been converted to XP successfully.Again, XP was already loaded, but propigating some of my music apps over to this OS was painless and error free.

8) If you were experiencing spontaneous reboots, what's your status so far? Are they gone? Too early to tell?N/A

Assuming you got this far with all yes answers, how much time did you spend to get here, in real hours, and how much money did you spend to get all the updated software? (Windows, et. all)

Dollars Spent = $0.00
Time Spent = 6 minutes to download PTLE 5.3.1
Time Spent = One minute to install
Time Spent = Did a little reserch and got some help with my BF Plugin issue, maybe a half hour.

Total Time Spent on the upgrade = Under an Hour.

I will contiue to tweek parameters and settings, but if it didn't get any better, I'd still be satisfied.

I also wanted to add, under this install, I also have my Nic card running, my SBAudigy card, as well as waaaaay tooo many services running in the background. So the way I see it, I have a lot of room to improve the PTLE environment.

I'll also add that I'm running 1024mb of Rambus ram without any error at all. XP Handles the extra ram with no problems. So I'm hoping that maybe the extra ram will help in some aspect. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

~Cheers~
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 06-25-2002, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
OK, so I'm curious...
..."Who has managed a COMPLETE upgrade to PTLE 5.3.1 under any version of Windows XP and managed to get everything checked out to be working correctly?"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the only microsoft upgrade i would recommend is 98/98SE to ME and then with some hesitation. i would definitely recommend you do a fresh install of XP rather than an upgrade for several reasons, the main one being that DOS and NT are very different animals but you know that, right? just move your documents and email files to a different drive, save your plug-in settings folder and any other stuff you might need and format! oh yeah, baby! format away!

Quote:
The idea of this request is to get people that have completely transitioned to speak up so we can get some positive pictures.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">take the plunge people - i can have my machine up and running again within three hours if something goes pear-shaped and i need to begin from scratch. forget system tweaks - seriously - they're a waste of time.

Quote:
I think it would be helpful to know that:

1) XP upgraded or installed correctly. All the normal stuff (networking, video, sound, etc.) are good.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">xp installed correctly - it has every time. a complete, customised install takes an hour or so and it's image fits on a single 700MB CD if you use Ghost and select high compression when prompted.

Quote:
2) Installation of 5.3.1 done and working correctly AND reliably.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">5.3.1 installs and works PERFECTLY WELL on my system and several others that i know of.

Quote:
3) All plugins that worked under 98/ME are working under XP UNLESS the manufacturer has specifically stated they don't.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">waves 3.5 works fine. bombfactory works too if you set the protools executable to run in windows 2000 compat. mode as bombfactory are yet to release an XP update. GRM tools are on their way and auto tune is nowhere in sight but that's no surprise. people accuse digidesign of mac snobbery? boy! they should check out antares!

Quote:
4) If you use soft-synths on your PTLE machine, these have been checked and are working identically or better than under 98/ME.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">as far as i can see, all the NI stuff works pretty well under XP. you've got system commander or something, right? you can always hang onto your current install just in case! PT direct connect is still in the beta stage as no third party developers have come up with anything to test it yet! i suggest hasseling them.

Quote:
5) You've bounced wave files from 5.3.1 (multiple formats?) and they are fine.

6) You've burned CDs with wave files created under 5.3.1 and they are fine. No clicks, pops or other surprises. (What software did you use?)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">now, mark... i know you like to play it safe but that's a little unreasonable don't you think? of course thay bounce and burn fine. even with the native xp burning software. (talk about trying to emulate OS X!!!)

Quote:
7) All other programs that you had on this machine have been converted to XP successfully.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">some upgrades are necessary but that's a given considering how different the operating system is. basically everything that was disigned to run under NT 4/2000 will work ok and a lot of stuff that ran under 9x too. some need to be run in compatibility mode - check with the software manufacturer for full details.

Quote:
8) If you were experiencing spontaneous reboots, what's your status so far? Are they gone? Too early to tell?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i have been running XP since it was released and have had only one "spontaneous reboot" due to a conflict between two different unsigned driver versions. it does crash occasionally but that's just 'the way it is' right?

Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the first time i installed XP professional it ran perfectly well. as i mentioned above, i'm not much of an OS upgrader unless you're talking Mac but an OS upgrade on a Mac is as good as a fresh install anyhow and, discounting the format time, it only takes about ten minutes to install MAC OS!

back to the point, as with any version of windows it's not without it's quirks and so i have developed a specific install routine for XP (as i had for 98/ME/2000). mostly the order in which i install extra drivers and software as there's not a great deal you can do to affect the OS install until it's done it's thing.

i'll end my ramble here.

~matt
Old 06-25-2002, 10:22 AM

Pako,

if you have wavelab, you should use it to burn your audio cd's as it's far more powerful than nero.

~matt
Old 06-25-2002, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattm:
Pako,

if you have wavelab, you should use it to burn your audio cd's as it's far more powerful than nero.

~matt
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] , I should really check into that. I've been so comfortable for so long with nero for all my Audio, VCD, and SVCD projects....sometimes I forget about other tools that are out there...

Thanks for the Tip matt, I'll check it out for sure.

~Cheers~
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 06-25-2002, 11:15 AM

yeah, it's pretty cool. i used to use it only for wave file manipulation.

i'm a bit of a mac person when it comes to audio but my house mate recently unveiled the powers of wavelab for me and it's been a worthwhile affair thus far although it can be more than painfully frustrating in certain respects. depends what you're used to, i guess. about as close to sonic solutions as the pc's gonna get for the time being [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

enjoy da lab

~matt
Old 06-25-2002, 11:37 AM

Everything Checks out over here as well.

Full Bounce,
Full Burn,
Full Record,
Full Reliability,
Full Everything.

Simple and Easy, everything was a cinch. Up and Running in less then 2 hours.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:21 PM

good for me to.
only use PTLE,Wavelab 4.0, and Microsoft Money 2001 and everything works great...
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA