Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 AM

Default Can't open Pro Tools in a newly created user account

Okay, never mind the fact that I can't work for more than 10 minutes without CPU overload or h/w buffer underflow..... I'm just going to see if any of you can help me with my next attempt at a solution:

I tried to create a new user account on my MacBook Pro just for running Pro Tools. But the folder for the application has the red "not gonna work" emblem on it, and when i try to open it, it says that Pro Tools LE is "not supported on this architecture."

I can't catch a break.... any answers for this one?

Thanks so much-----
Old 08-31-2008, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Can't open Pro Tools in a newly created user account

Does your new user account have admin privileges?

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 08-31-2008, 10:56 AM

The new account does have admin privileges, yes.

thanks--
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritaM View Post
Okay, never mind the fact that I can't work for more than 10 minutes without CPU overload or h/w buffer underflow..... I'm just going to see if any of you can help me with my next attempt at a solution:

I tried to create a new user account on my MacBook Pro just for running Pro Tools. But the folder for the application has the red "not gonna work" emblem on it, and when i try to open it, it says that Pro Tools LE is "not supported on this architecture."

I can't catch a break.... any answers for this one?

Thanks so much-----
Many Mac users just run from their Admin account so they get permission to do just about anything. So adding more accounts you are going have to deal with permission's issue like on any Unix based system.

Simple Mac access privileges issue could happen with lots of stuff. Resolving can be time consuming. You need to open the folder, app, file what ever has the red no access dot and give yourself access. You will need to give the admin account name and password to alter the permissions.

Giving this new account admin priblieges will mainly help with newly created stuff old flles and etc you will probably need to change the perm's on things.

I have the same situation on my Mac being I've made a lot of system changes. What I've done to help is created a ProTool group and added the user accounts that will be recording to the group. This way when I change the perm's I just need by adding the ProTool group and giving it permission.

Now if you're a Unix geek you can open a terminal window and add the ProTool group and give it perm's for a folder and everything in the folder recursively. A lot faster than going folder by folder, file by file as no access or can't write errors pop up.

OS X is Unix based and Unix guards permissions like a junk yard dog. Pro Tools isn't like a word processor its a system level app and needs specific permissions to do its work.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 PM

After posting I just found a cool little Mac tools to make permission changes to an folder/directory and to all files/folders in the tree. It's called BatChmod.

http://www.macchampion.com/arbysoft/Welcome.html