Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Default Pro-Tools Won't Record MIDI

Hello All,

I can't seem to record any MIDI tracks.

ABOUT ME:
I'm pretty new to Pro-tools, although I've worked with Cakewalk Pro Audio and Sibelius and I understand MIDI vs. Audio, ins and outs, etc.

I've done some audio recording in Pro-tools with no problems. MIDI in pro-tools has confounded me from Day One.

SYMPTOMS:
I can hear the drums in Redrum, BFD, and the instrument sounds from Sampletank, and their audio levels register (those fountains of green) on their respective faders. They simply will not record. I can "pencil-in" midi notes using the Pro-tools pencil tool, but that's the only I can get midi data into Pro-tools. I have never seen midi data register in a midi track, and again, have never been able to record midi in pro-tools.

MY GEAR:
PC: Toshiba Satellite A105S4335
XP Media Center Edition 2005
Duo Core Processor T5200
2GB RAM
160GB HDD
5400 rpm

MBOX2
Pro-tools LE v7.1
Chirp Virtual MIDI Keyboard Controller

(I understand that an external HDD is essential for serious Pro-tools recording, and I do have one, but it has nothing to do with this issue.)

I have a Novation x-25 kb which I've learned is not easy to set up as a controller in pro-tools, so I decided to keep things simple for the time being, and try to get MIDI working without a controller altogether. Reason should record in Protools without a controller KB, but it doesn't. (FYI, Sampletank's KB, I recently learned from IKMultimedia, has no MIDI capability.)

Today I installed the CHIRP virtual MIDI Keyboard, and have gotten as far as playing BFD drum patterns on it, but again, I still haven't been able to record MIDI.

POSSIBLE ISSUES:

I. DRIVER
I admit I'm over my head here, but maybe the following information contains some information germane to this issue:

Prior to installing Pro-tools on this laptop, I installed Sibelius v5.2., and Sibelius Tech support recommended an ASIO audio driver over my default driver. Then I installed Pro-tools and my MBox. Recently, I peeked into Conrol Panel to examine my audio driver setup:

Control Panel (sounds & audio devices properties ==> hardware) lists 1) Digidesign MBox2 Audio Driver (two driver files appear here: a) Dalwdm.sys (TOP: This is Digidesign's driver), and b) Tvs.sys (BOTTOM: This is the original Toshiba driver, I think), and 2) there is a separate listing for MBOX 2, which lists its driver as: Tvs.sys.

All you XP people out there using PT LE: Is it normal to have separate listings for "MBox2 Audio Driver" and "MBox2"?

II. Driver File Version
Dalwdm.sys
File Version: 7.1.059

Is this sufficiently up-to-date?

III. Other possibilities
A. Conflicts with Sibelius or another program grabbing MIDI?
B. Some setting in XP Media Edition prevents pro-tools from recording MIDI?
C. Pro-Tools doesn't like dual-core processors?

IV. A DUMB OVERSIGHT ON MY PART
I really hope it's as simple as this.

Thanks for slogging through this epic post. I thank you all in advance for your patience, wisdom, and generosity.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Pro-Tools Won't Record MIDI

Some basic system inconsistencies:
Media Center is not supported
5400 rpm hard drive isn't fast enough
Dedicated hard drive is still a must, whether it's what you called "serious" recording or just "basic" recording. I've seen guys not even be able to record a mono track until they went with the recommendations. This is one of those things that has to be in place for it to work. It might have everything in the world to do with this, plus it might be a combination of everything causing this. Just a guess, though....
Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Pro-Tools Won't Record MIDI

I am having the same issues. I can use pencil tool. no problem. Trying to use my midi controller (m-audio key station 61) to record midi in or simply to use it as piano controller for the grand piano in PT won't work properly. Im getting a serious lag when playing notes while the song is playing (3-4 tracks only though).
Also sometimes I get a spike with my CPU system usage. But my iMac is more then capable to handle what I'm doing (see my studio equipment specs).

I NEED HELP TOO. IF ANYONE CAN HELP..

Thank you all.....