Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Remote desktop can\'t control protools?

I track everything on my desktop mac, which sits in a different room from where the instruments are being recorded. I have been attempting to run apple's remote desktop app to control the tower with my powerbook so i don't have to get up and walk 30 feet just to hit the number "3" on the keyboard. Anytime i take control of my desktop with ARD while my 002r and core audio are active (protools, quicktime, dvd player, vlc, safari etc.) the connection drops to the 002r and i have to restart my computer.
I have done all the troubleshooting steps from the sticky post here, and the issue persists. (the only thing i'm leaving on is airport, and the issue is the same when i turn it off and connect the tower to the network with ethernet)
My specs are in my signature, and i'm using ARD 3.1 on the PB with up to date client software on the desktop mac.

I also get the same dropouts whenever there's a large amount of network activity. (the 2 computers sharing files via ethernet, airport, Ichat file transfers w/users outside my network, etc.)
For some reason network activity seems to break the core audio driver. I'm monitoring CPU and memory allocations in terminal and nothing is spiking.

Any ideas?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Remote desktop can\'t control protools?

I might be too much strain on the CPU between the two computers - I remember using Remote Desktop back in the 10.2 days (not for PT) and it was horribly slow and used up CPU like crazy, you couldn't really run much on either machine with ARD going. Timbuktu was a much smoother solution for controlling macs remotely, but for what you want to do the Frontier Tranzport would probably be the best bet.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Slim. I have some experience with timbuk2 and it does run with less strain on the CPU's. Unfortunately it's not the solution here, as the problem isn't specific to ARD. (if i attempt to do an ichat file transfer while itunes is outputting through the core audio driver, it craps out there too...)
Also, i've been monitoring CPU usage and even with pt running it doesn't go above 35% while tracking. I was getting the same issues in 10.3.8 w/pt. 6.4 on an 001, so i don't think it's anything specific to the build of the app or the hardware involved.
Some sort of deliberate anti-piracy glitch maybe? The problem is present with or without the PACE software installed.
Has anyone ever gotten this to work?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:37 PM

If you only need 30 feet of remote, why not try a bluetooth remote or wireless keyboard?
Just a thought. Or maybe some kind of usb extension cord.