How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Default Overheat Warning with VNC

Hey Sheldon / Digi Tech Folk...

We have an interesting issue... Every time one of our guys connects with a VNC client to our Profile system it pops up and Over Temperature warning within a minute or two... When he disconnects, the temperature goes down... It doesn't effect the console operation in any way... Everything continues on. The warning doesn't come back again (unless he connects with VNC)...

Is this actually happening or is it a false? I haven't seen mention of it before...

I can gather a log file if that'll help. We are running 2.8.5.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Avid

Default Re: Overheat Warning with VNC

Jason,

Start with a peek at the Hardware Monitor. This should be one of the options offered in the Temperature Alert box, but you can also get there by clicking "Control-Shift-M" on the USB keyboard.

The temperature that is out of normal range will have several arrows pointing to it. I'm guessing it's the CPU temp in this case.

Have you tried re-installing the ECx 2.0 software yet?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Rich,

Usually when this happens it pops up the Hardware Monitor dialogue box. It highlights one of the CPU temps. This value rises (I'm not sure the high tolerance), and then falls once disconnecting from VNC.

I haven't reinstalled ECX 2.0. Can I download that or do I need the discs that came with 2.8.5?

Additionally, we should be receiving our 2.9 upgrade kit any day now... So perhaps we'll wipe this problem clean by installing 2.9

Furthermore, the only major change we've made recently, whose timing could coincide with the problem though it's function is entirely different, is installing WavesV8... Obviously they shouldn't be related, but strange things can happen...

I'll post back some results after reinstalling ECX.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Initially, re-installing the ECX software seems to correct the issue, but after clicking around a bit more and pushing it hard, she still squeals.

The temperature jumps about 4 degrees immediately upon connecting and just rises from there... The more you work it, the higher it goes.

Jason
Old 03-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Avid

Hi Jason,

It's worth popping the hood and checking that the CPU fan is still functioning properly. The system may be starting at an elevated temperature to begin with due to a faulty fan.

Another thing to check is that the full system RAM is being recognized, as the video relies on external RAM. All systems ship w/ 512 MB; you can check this by holding CTRL and clicking on the version number in the lower right corner of the Options>System screen. Basic system info then appears in the lower left status area.

Sheldon