Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Default Cab and Mic sims live

So IIRC Fractal said to turn these off when using live. I did that first and to be honest having them left in sounds way better. All the patches get thin and brittle. What are your takes? Should I take them out and re-EQ everthing or leave them in and tweek. Another problem I have is I am really not that proficient eqing these rack units so the closer I can get to start the better.

So to set up live and am using outputs to amp and have them set to rig output. Can you all think of a better way?

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Cab and Mic sims live

like i mentioned on the other post about muddy sound; your tone depends on which output you use and if you have the cabinet sims engaged.

some observations i will throw out there:

the eleven rack has a lot of upper midrange bite...even with cabinet sims on. this is why many people leave the cab sims on even when they play through a guitar amp or guitar speakers instead of PA.

my advice is to use whatever you need to to get the tone you desire. there is no right or wrong way to go.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Just like the Axe FX this is starting to come around for me. Knowing the layout of the unit and manuevering in it is huge. I am tweaking still but I have several amps that are close but not done. Another thing is like any amp. Set it up at stage volume. Huge difference. The is a certain harshness I am trying to get out. It is not alot but I think if I can get it out it will warm the amps up a bit. I cant remember who I got the patches from but it is a 5150x, 6505, Framus, Titan, Marsha. Still searching for a great lead tone. I might use the Framus and add some delay. Still can't find a really nice and pretty clean. Suggestions?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:54 AM

So Singtall is there something you could recommend that you typically do to lose the upper mid bite. Because it seems to be in every patch and if I can get rid of it I think it would go a long way in warming the tone up. Smooth it out so to speak. Right now it is a little too much in your face so to speak. keep in mind that I am not proficient in using para eq so if you have a setting that woul;d be awesome. I would love anyone else to chime in too.

I am getting close with this thing.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:17 AM

The best thing you can do is to learn the para eq and some fundamental equalization, it's the best thing to do since then u will be able to face many more needs and situations.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:56 PM

step 1) us a parametric eq to notch the highs at 4.3khz with a Q of about 6-8

depending on which mic and cabinet combo you chose, you will have to either change the Q or the frequency. but 4.3khz is a good starting point. V30's my require a notch at 4.6khz when using the MKII amp model.

normally, i would setup an eq this way:

1) high pass shelf at 130-180hz, cut from 6-11db depending on the amp model.

2) low mid bump at 275-400hz, maybe 1-4db. adds that nice woody room tone.

3) notch at 4.3-4.6khz to cut the harshness down.

4) low pass shelf at 5k-8k to cut any remaining fizziness (if needed). maybe 3-6db cut.

this is a starting point, not a general rule. i would start from there and tweak as needed.