Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack used "Live" for 1st time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
Can you guys tell me if you set up the 11r at bedroom/rehearsal levels and then just turn up the volume for gigs. Or.. is it correct to set up the 11r at the estimated gig volume.
I think its something called the Fletcher Munson ...... thingamy

cheers
Jay
Not to mention, that speakers themselves react differently at different levels. It's the same way with real guitar amps as well. On my marshall I had, pictures taped to the top with levels for recording, rehearsal, and live setups. because a miced cab is not the same as a full out cab for sound either. Where you are in the soundfield and distance from the source will effect the overall character as well. With the 11r or any real amp. I always do a sound check of my own prior to shows in our rehearsal space with my amp up way louder than normal, just to get the feel of it.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Basically our ears hear mids better than other frequencies. Mostly due to the voice being in that range. Some say also so moms can better hear a crying baby.

Anywho the curve changes with volume. I believe it's about 85 db were our ears have the flattest response. Below that we hear less bass and and to some extent highs. Hence why a "loudness" button boosts lows and maybe some highs. So it would be smart to set up live patches as close as possible to playing volumes. But also realize, unless you're running direct with IEM's, every room you're in and where you place your cab will affect the sound also. So you'll probably need to do some pre gig tweaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys.
Good to know.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 AM

I used the Eleven Rack live for the first time last night. It was a success.

I found that compared to traditional guitar rigs that I have used before, the sound that I had setup at home in the studio at low to moderate listening levels translated on a large PA better/more easily.

However I have had a lot of experience of this, so I had set my sounds up to be fairly light on bass and treble while auditioning at home and during rehearsals (in a quiet recording studio environment). The bass and treble always get much more present on a big PA (as has been mentioned)

Guitar sounded pretty close to the sounds I wanted. I ended up going "Output to Amp" to a mic'd up cheapo solid state Fender frontman 212 combo that was there because of a technical problem getting my main out to the desk and monitors.

After quickly comparing, the "Rig out" setting sounded better than "Rig out no cab" (surprising) and a laptop played out all my FX changes, so I was free to prance around like an idiot without having to step on any pedals!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:02 AM

Resurrecting old thread...

Were you trying to run no cab into the PA or your amp to begin with?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:44 PM

just my opinion, but.....those presets suck. i have the sweetwater presets and i overwrote them pretty quickly.

what works in the band room doesn't always work in a live setting. sometimes the band shed can be a loud place where tone gets mushed together, whereas a stage can sometimes give you more separation to hear the mess.

like most people will tell you: less gain, more mids will always help.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost219 View Post
Resurrecting old thread...

Were you trying to run no cab into the PA or your amp to begin with?

I believe he was implying he was trying to run the full rig to FOH, but couldn't due to a tech problem. So plan be was to use an already mic'd combo amp. He tried both with and without a cab and found he liked with cab better.

But this is a 2 year old thread.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singtall View Post
just my opinion, but.....those presets suck. i have the sweetwater presets and i overwrote them pretty quickly.

what works in the band room doesn't always work in a live setting. sometimes the band shed can be a loud place where tone gets mushed together, whereas a stage can sometimes give you more separation to hear the mess.

like most people will tell you: less gain, more mids will always help.
Exactly. Now, try explaining that to metal heads.