Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Hello 11R. Goodbye HD500. (on Thursday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Run the 'To Amp' output to your amp and XLR outs to PA and you have the best of both worlds. As long as 'To Amp' is positioned pre Amp/Cab sim, your sending a signal as if you were plugging straight into amp.
I had a good idea I'd be able to do that and that does sound amazing and WAY more flexible than the HD500. I've read a few reports of people asking why 11R couldn't do that so I was a little unsure if that was completely possible BUT thanks for clarifying that! Like I said in my earlier post, I'm just concerned about having to use the exciter pedal b/w the 11R and the return on my amp to make it sound "full". I had cab models turned off, too. I was actually using the models in "pre" mode so as to make sure it was strictly preamp signal. It was still lacking.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost219 View Post
Interesting. What was different in your approaches for each?
I noticed the Hot Rod patches were too bright sounding when playing through studio monitors. It seems the amp imparts some dark character to the sound. Cab emulation was off - it caused some ear fadigue when turned on.

I made 3 plexi patches. But as I only play at home and record, I erased those patches and only play through the monitors.

Edit: I couldn't play the amp loud, so the tone would vary If I was playing with a band.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingafuego View Post
I noticed the Hot Rod patches were too bright sounding when playing through studio monitors. It seems the amp imparts some dark character to the sound. Cab emulation was off - it caused some ear fadigue when turned on.

I made 3 plexi patches. But as I only play at home and record, I erased those patches and only play through the monitors.

Edit: I couldn't play the amp loud, so the tone would vary If I was playing with a band.
What kinds of monitors do you play through? Only thing I can think of is not compensating for the difference in speaker size and character. With monitors, you have dedicated tweeters so that may factor in to the increase in higher frequencies.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Default Hello 11R. Goodbye HD500. (on Thursday)

Well it's a lot of factors. When you use an amp your bypassing some factors and changing others.

Guitar speakers have anything but flat response. The power amp may or may not be very flat. Probably flat enough in most cases though. I believe most of the heavy tweaking is in the preamp stage if most guitar amps.

So you bypass the cab/mic part of the rig. You still have a power amp emulation on. Not a huge deal as I think most are mostly flat anyways. But you are probably getting a little extra compression from the "power amp" of the modeler. Not a huge thing but something to consider.

And where you plug into the combo amp matters a lot. Obviously a "fx loop return" or "power amp in" is the best bet. Most amps preamp stage really does a lot of heavy EQ'ing. So using that could cause problems. Nothing that can't be overcome, but definitely a compromise situation.

Now you tweak the 11r/combo amp to sound great. I have no doubt that can be done. If you still want to use the xlr's direct, you need to try and find a cab/mic combo that will get as close as you can to what your combo amp sounds like. That might be a little tricky. You can probably get close, but will have to make some compromises. And the mic affects the sound also. So your not trying to get the exact same sound, but what your combo would sound like mic'd.

So while it can definitely be done, there are obstacles to overcome with using a combo amp with an 11r. If I ever got to needing a live rig again, and used my 11r, I had always planned on getting a decent mono amp, and a nice monitor wedge. Or possibly a powered wedge. Just feed the same signal to it and the board. Seems like the simplest solution to me.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Oh and if I were to use a combo amp, I would probably just mic it. Save the hassle of trying to match that up.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Oh and if I were to use a combo amp, I would probably just mic it. Save the hassle of trying to match that up.
That's what I was initially planning on doing. I have a feeling a lot of the places I'd start playing wouldn't have a sound guy too enthused to try a 3 input system. My 11R should be arriving tomorrow so I'll just have to mess with it then. I'll probably start with my amp first followed by monitors to make a comparison. I've even been thinking using my pedals as midi controllers for the 11R but doesn't seem feasible. Nova system and M9.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 PM

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

no Xciter needed. I don't know why I wasted my money on the HD500 to begin with. The tone is huge and lush. ESPECIALLY with the power section of my amp.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:41 PM

welcome to club orange!

some free sample presets for ya:

https://sites.google.com/site/singta...e/free-samples

also check elevenrackpresets.com for tons of free presets.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singtall View Post
welcome to club orange!

some free sample presets for ya:

https://sites.google.com/site/singta...e/free-samples

also check elevenrackpresets.com for tons of free presets.
Thanks! You've actually already hooked me up, dude :)

Robin