Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2011, 07:02 AM

Default SC48 DSP & Plugin Limitation

I know this has been discussed before, and it's listed on IdeaScale, but I was just looking at my DSP and plugins, and here's what I found:

SC48 DEVICES PAGE

SC48 PLUGINS

Is there a plan to add additional slots for plugins on the SC48, or is this perhaps a limited feature to differentiate it from the bigger desks? I hate wasting DSP, and I could use a few more plugins on a weekly basis for one thing or another.

Thanks for all the knowledge on this forum, and thanks Sheldon for always answering questions!

-chris
Old 06-05-2011, 08:06 AM

Default Re: SC48 DSP & Plugin Limitation

Chris-

I can't answer for the AVID team, but it probably is very similar to the 18 channels via FWx limitation. I hate the limitation on the SC48, but it is probably in the works. Again, I'm not answering for AVID here. I would also be curious the reasoning behind the limitation.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 AM

Ken -

I thought about that, but I suspect it's a little different. Seems to me that the architecture is already there for more plugins to utilize DSP, as it's already happening on Venue and Profile systems. But the FWx driver itself in any iteration has always been limited to 18 tracks.

But I'm like you, can't speak for the team. We'll see what says Mr. Radford.

-chris
Old 06-05-2011, 10:07 AM

A Profile surface/Mixrack combo will get you up to 5 mix engines and 100 plug in slots, perhaps that is what you really needed instead of an SC48. AVID would have been foolish to market the SC48 if it had DSP features identical to the Profile/MixRack. Why compete against oneself?

The SC48 is a great little desk that we're very happy with. We will be moving up the AVID food chain to better serve our clients that need more processing capability.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 PM

We are thrilled with the console, don't get me wrong. It's one of the best investments I've made since coming on staff (well, that and having our PA re-tuned).

I hear what you're saying, but I feel like the limitation should be the fixed DSP that this desk has. I'm okay with that. My point is just that I'd like to be able to use all the of DSP that I have available for plugins, instead of letting nearly three chips sit idle. I totally understand the larger systems and additional feature scaling, and when we deploy IMAG in the next 18-36 months, I'm going to upgrade.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Avid

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments. Here's how the thought process went...

At the time SC48 was launched 20 slots seemed like the right balance between available DSP and the types of plug-ins folks were using. Having 100 slots and not enough DSP would just be frustrating.

As more DSP-efficient plug-ins, such as Waves, become popular we can look at changing this. Be sure to add your voice to the Ideascale posting.

Sheldon (aka "Mr. Radford")

...seriously...no need for such formalities...
Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM

I agree with the thought of adding slots. We have the Waves bundle and it's so efficient.

In my opinion, it's actually considerably more frustrating to have leftover DSP than it would be to have left over slots... 'Cause DSP is money. Kinda like running out of TDM slots before running out of DSP -or- slots. We bought an extra DSP card, and sometime have 6 or 7 chips left when running out of TDM slots... THAT is frustrating... but being able to use ALL of my DSP and having left over slots, that's just expected behaviour, and encourages sales of efficient plugins (making plugin manufacturers happy)...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM

Talking about efficiency...
D-Verb=25% of one chip
Phoenix=11%
TapeHead=6%
L1=15%
Mc2000/4bands=20% 2bands=10%
EQ3 7band=10%
SPL Transient Designer=16%
Massey DeEsser=25%
TC MasterX=25%
Waves RenBass=21%

These are what I mainly run and all are efficient as h*** :)

So yeah, please vote so we could fit some more stuff in there... and concerning SC48 as a control surface - to be honest I would prefer it over all the other current Venue surfaces, so Avid for me, please, an SC48 on steroids, please
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM

I agree with you, digidesigner. the one thing holding me back from getting one for my smaller gigs is the no-digital snake option. I really wish they would make a card to allow a stage rack to be used...

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
I really wish they would make a card to allow a stage rack to be used...
That's too expensive and we can't use Personal Q options anyway, so best would be a digital snake card and empty stage box where we could then insert our existing input-output cards from the desk. As the desk came with modular not fixed cards that makes it so easy. Probably comes later this year with 32io Pro Tools support :)