Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 04:22 PM

Default how i record using my Korg Triton and 001, any better ideas????

I have the Digi 001 as well and a new shiny Triton LE (beems with delight).
It has taken me some time to work out the interfaces between these two things and i think i have still just scratched the surface. I am also running PT on a PC.

Basically this is how i have set it up, and how i run it:

I have the MIDI in and out cables running to 001, plus I also have the stereo audio cables running to my 001 (in slots 3/4 on the back).

On my Triton I go into the GLOBAL menu and set Internal off, i also use the INTERNAL clock (turning PT's MIDI beat clock off as I prefer to control the tempo via the triton), and also have it set to preMIDI.

then in PT, the firsat thing i do is setup an AUX Stereo track and set the inputs to 3/4 (the audio ins from the triton). Then I setup a MIDI track setting the inputs to ALL, and finally I setup and AUDIO Stereo track setting its inputs to 3/4 as well.

This way i get the hear the MIDI (via AUX) and can also record the drum tracks in the background off COMBI tracks and PROGRAMS.

I then set up to record, for a MIDI trigger on PT ans away I go....

I do all this, as I use the triton as a drum machine as well, for my songs, in doing so i set record on both the MIDI track and the AUDIO track, then i can alternate bewtween muteing or soloing either to record the bits i want...

This may be a realy hard way of doing it all, but its the best way i have found so far........ if anyone out there has a more STREAMLINED process... i would love to hear about it.

Minfd you i wish there was more documentation from either Digidesign or Korg on these areas too..

ROCK ON
Old 09-24-2002, 05:53 PM

Default Re: how i record using my Korg Triton and 001, any better ideas????

Basically you do have it figured out. Whatever works for you would probably be the best way.

I would use PTLE all the way, that is, I control the tempo with PTLE, I use sequence mode instead of combi (cause you get 8 more midi tracks), and I record midi only until I have the song pretty much done and then record audio (unless I run out of voices or need plug-ins to create an unique sound or effect). To record audio I first use the mic inputs (people say the preamps aren't that good, but they sound better than the line level inputs on the back of 001), I use program mode on the synth and edit the sound and effects of the synth (since you lose some of sound/effects in sequence mode, but you get both in combi mode but less tracks). And in order to keep the sounds for a given song, I do a sys ex send of the programs.

Did you figure out how to record the arps?

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2002, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Madmaxxb:
I have the Digi 001 as well and a new shiny Triton LE (beems with delight).
It has taken me some time to work out the interfaces between these two things and i think i have still just scratched the surface. I am also running PT on a PC.

Basically this is how i have set it up, and how i run it:

I have the MIDI in and out cables running to 001, plus I also have the stereo audio cables running to my 001 (in slots 3/4 on the back).

On my Triton I go into the GLOBAL menu and set Internal off, i also use the INTERNAL clock (turning PT's MIDI beat clock off as I prefer to control the tempo via the triton), and also have it set to preMIDI.

then in PT, the firsat thing i do is setup an AUX Stereo track and set the inputs to 3/4 (the audio ins from the triton). Then I setup a MIDI track setting the inputs to ALL, and finally I setup and AUDIO Stereo track setting its inputs to 3/4 as well.

This way i get the hear the MIDI (via AUX) and can also record the drum tracks in the background off COMBI tracks and PROGRAMS.

I then set up to record, for a MIDI trigger on PT ans away I go....

I do all this, as I use the triton as a drum machine as well, for my songs, in doing so i set record on both the MIDI track and the AUDIO track, then i can alternate bewtween muteing or soloing either to record the bits i want...

This may be a realy hard way of doing it all, but its the best way i have found so far........ if anyone out there has a more STREAMLINED process... i would love to hear about it.

Minfd you i wish there was more documentation from either Digidesign or Korg on these areas too..The way I do my drums on my T-3 is Pattern recording in the t3 after I have created my drum sequence I assign in global cymbals to 3&4stereo then kick to L1 snare to R2 while I have the toms Muted.I then use pro tools as the master to start and stop my t-3(first I have tochoose external clock source in T-3 Global) and record each output of my t-3 to it's own track in PTLEThen I mute all those and do the same for the toms.This is probably an ancient way of doing it but I'm more comfortable sequencing on my T-3 tan I am at relearning how to do Midi in Pro Tools.Stu

ROCK ON
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 09-25-2002, 02:24 AM

Mad MAx, I essentailly have the same combination as you, just with a few more toys.
But, basically I have the Midis of my Triton LE(still shiny) into the Midis on the DIGI001, but I also have a the MIDI Thru on the Triton Le going into an additional Sound module. Instead of running my audios directly into the 001, I have then going into a Preamp/Mixer first. I do all the sequencing from ProTools though, as I find it much easier to control certain program changes and certain things that are really confusing on the Triton. I hate those four assignable nobs on the bass side of the keyboard. If you accidently nudge those little nobs you can mess up a whole sound. I like to control those within ProTools, that way I can keep everything nice and neat, and no nobs to bump. I usually set up all the tracks seperately VIA midi of course, and then when a mix is done, I spend the laboring process of recording each MIDI track into actual Audio tracks. But recently I have been doing all the mixing with the MIDI, and then just throw all the tracks onto a sterio pair, mix in the vox, and i burn it to disk. I know this isnt the best way to do things, but It REALLY saves time, as recording each individual midi track into Audio on a 4 minute with 16 tracks of MIDI could take up to an hour.

I have been running this setup for about 5 or 6 months, so if you have any questions, im here.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:49 AM

How do you assign the different midi sounds in protools, since protools does not have the instruments definitions for any of the synths out there. How do you , let say you need PA01 on track 1, CB45 on track 2 etc.Or even the drum sounds and banks.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Mocha wrote:
How do you assign the different midi sounds in protools, since protools does not have the instruments definitions for any of the synths out there.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You need to use the bank select boxes in the patch window (the LSB and MSB boxes), and choose a patch number. Every synth has a different set of bank select numbers, so you'd have to check the back of your synth manual.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a "PA01" or a "CB45"? If these are the actual program names on your synth, then you would select these from the patch select window also.

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 04:46 PM

Yes, use the Patch select boxes. To use Patch 30 of Bank C, set the Program Patch to 30, and the controller box to the number 2( - for bank A, 1 for B, 2 for C, 3 for D, etc ...), it normally has a "-" in the box.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:55 PM

Captain_Pants:

Are you saying Korg finally decided to start numbering their programs starting with the number 1 instead of number 0?
Old 09-25-2002, 05:20 PM

No, they didnt, but in a general situation, it would be 1 -> 1, obviously on the Triton LE, you woul dhave to decipher. Triton 000 = PT 001

Sorry for the confusion, if any.