Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 01:15 AM

Default Can\'t decide....001 or 002, comments?

I had pretty much resolved to purchase Digi 001, as I assumed the surface was not important to me as I can make these moves without it....But as I read more, people seem to be so happy with the 002. Can anyone shed more light? Are the converters and filters truely better on the 002? Are the pre's truely better, and even worth using over a mid-priced (say $250-$500 range) outboard pre? And what else is better in regards to inputs, outputs, monitor sends, main outputs....ect. Any info can help, as I am still undecided, but would like to start my set up real soon. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Can\'t decide....001 or 002, comments?

This really is completely up to your needs. Both options get you ProToolsLE...that's a plus obviously. Don't buy one or the other based on mic-pres, that is kinda like buying Cadillac based on whether it has a CD player with a single disc or one with a 4-disc option.... that can always be changed later. Besides, these preamps are nothing great anyway. They are clean and get the job done, but they are not designed to be great preamps. With that said, is having a control surface important to you? Having real faders and knobs and buttons to push? As an engineer, it is CRITICAL to me for mixing... I don't care what anyone says, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get that mixing feel in the context of the "performance". Yes, mixing is a performance... I try to get the feel of the music as I'm mixing. Yes, the Digi002 does have 96kHz converters and a little better sounding A/D and D/A. Yes, the Digi002 comes bundled with some KILLER plugins free of charge. BUT maybe you're better off getting a Digi001 just to get into it and get a control surface later with some plugins.

With that said, if you can afford it now.... it really is worth it to get the Digi002. I personally am in love with this product for many reasons. The first one is that it FORCES everyone using it to get faders and knobs, the way audio is really mixed. What has happened with computer-based recording and mixing, many buy software and interfaces and never buy a control surface. And I hear them talking about how they don't like using a computer because of the mouse. Well, you shouldn't be using the mouse for mixing
Old 11-08-2002, 06:51 AM

It boils down to whether you want/need the digital mixer or not. Unless you're tracking live drums or an ensemble, you might not need a mixer at the tracking stage at all. If you just want the faders for mixing, the 001 and a MotorMix is a better buy. If you don't need the faders at all (I'm new to mixing so faders are not a "must" for me), then just get the 001 and skip the MotorMix entirely.

I don't believe there's any advantage to the 002 as far as I/O is concerned. It's really about the mixer. Mackie analog mixers have better pres, if you really need a bank of eight nice ones, but most people don't. Save your money for good mics instead, maybe one day get a nice Avalon pre for your vocals.

But if the 8-channel mixer is what you need, I think the 002 is a great package.
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 11-08-2002, 10:44 AM

That's an interesting point regarding the MotorMix. Does anyone else use a Motormix with 001? I am very new to computer based recording and really appritiate the input.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:09 AM

If I were a first time buyer, I'd opt for the 002 AFTER they get the bugs out of it. Too many reports of early failures, and I'd hate to see what it would cost to have that unit serviced out of warranty.

Still, I think it offers a good set of features, given the included plugins bundled with the 002. I don't know how long Digidesign will include the bundled plugins, but without them, its a very expensive piece of gear. If you don't need the extras offered in the 002, there are a lot of good deals on 001s available, and you could put the cash difference into a good mic or preamp, or something that WILL make a difference to you.

good luck,

dave patterson / knobville
Old 11-08-2002, 11:26 AM

(((((Yes, the Digi002 does have 96kHz converters and a little better sounding A/D and D/A.)))))

I'm trying to figure out what this means to me. What is the converter kHz on the 001? I was using Alesis XT20 ADATS before I decided to switch over. What is the kHz on those converters?
Old 11-08-2002, 11:50 AM

I'm currently using the 001 with a MotorMix, but I will be upgrading to a 002 soon - partly because of the firewire connection, so that I can use it with my powerbook.

I really don't like the MotorMix much at all. Communication with PT software is slow and jumpy, the faders aren't touch sensitive and have low resolution, though they are fairly quiet. The transport buttons aren't very useful, in that they look exactly the same as the other 50-some buttons, and it just doesn't feel or is presented the same way a normal transport would be.

The 001 is just fine - except the convertors aren't great and the preamps suck.

Wanna buy my 001 and MotorMix? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarboy335:
That's an interesting point regarding the MotorMix. Does anyone else use a Motormix with 001? I am very new to computer based recording and really appritiate the input.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 11-09-2002, 12:15 AM

Motormix doesn't even come close to the 002. I'd buy the 002 if you can afford it.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:28 AM

What has the better converters, XT20 ADATS or the 002? Are people using the pres on the 002, or are they avoiding them like I keep reading on the 001. I keep reading about people going past input 1&2 and going right to input3 just to avoid the pres. Is this the same for the 002?