Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2023, 12:09 PM

Default iLok licenses automatically deactivated during "Refresh"

Yesterday I bought some Upgrade codes from Vintage King to renew some support plans for perpetual Ultimate licenses. I plugged 7 of the 9 codes we bought (still waiting on a few more codes to come in via email) into our Avid account and everything seemed fine. The expiration dates of the system IDs in question updated correctly and everything looked good at Avid.com.

Today, a few of our iLok in various studios (1 in Detroit and 3 in NY) had auto-refreshes done when launching ILM and had their Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual license bundles automatically deactivated. One happened while Pro Tools was open, necessitating a quit. A number of new Pro Tools perpetual bundle licenses appeared in the Available tab at the same time, dated yesterday. Of course, we were able to drag new licenses back onto our iLok to keep working, but there are now more licenses in our iLok account than we actually own. I am worried that when this error is corrected, it will cause disruption to critical sessions that are underway, like live remote VO records, client attended mixes, etc.

Has anybody else experienced any weird iLok related issues today?
Old 12-01-2023, 12:18 PM

Default Re: iLok licenses automatically deactivated during "Refresh"

Just created a support ticket at the Account Support portal - case no. - 04720128
Old 12-01-2023, 06:55 PM
SPAM

How much time it will take to reply the support ticket?
Old 12-02-2023, 12:07 AM

Same thing happened to us:

Two days after buying/registering the support subscriptions, both our PT Ultimate HDX rigs got deactivated randomly and without any warning during sessions. Luckily no real time critical work/clients on site at that point, but totally unacceptable.

Unfortunately we are at the point where nothing is surprising anymore when it comes to Avid and customer relationship.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:55 AM
Avid

Hi originalscottyg,

I checked your case 04720128 and our support representative is actually checking what are the affected system ids as well as the account where you're redeeming the codes.
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support
Old 12-05-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicente22 View Post
Hi originalscottyg,

I checked your case 04720128 and our support representative is actually checking what are the affected system ids as well as the account where you're redeeming the codes.
I have done some more sorting out of licenses and system IDs on my end and will be sending a reply to the support case later today or tomorrow; I am pretty heavily booked today, so time is at a premium.

What I discovered is that for each Upgrade code I redeemed in my Avid account, the iLok asset tied to the corresponding System ID was set to a status of "Revoke Pending" and 2 new Pro Tools Perpetual license assets were deposited for each System ID. This Revoke Pending status prompted auto-refreshes, sometimes at launch of Pro tools, and always with any launch of ILM. This caused some people's licenses to be revoked during a session; (for example, once when a sound designer launched ILM to grab a Soundminer license).

Since people had to quickly grab a new license to continue working, there ended up being duplicate System IDs on separate iLoks, and I wanted to get that sorted out before responding to support, so that once they started removing the duplicate licenses, no-one got deactivated during a critical session. I have rearranged all of our licenses so that each iLok has a unique System ID. So, once I get time, I'll respond to support with detailed information.

I have been managing these licenses and entering the renewal (now upgrade) codes since there was such a thing, and have never had this experience before. To me, it is a major problem to set activated license assets to Revoke status without informing the end user. I am not a happy camper right now. I had to waste multiple hours sorting through the system IDs and iLok assets to try to ensure no further disruption of our workflow. And even that doesn't seem guaranteed at this point.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:01 AM
Avid

Hi Scott,

We apologize as well with the inconvenience. Possible that the system ids that are being renewed are part of legacy part number and to make sure that your licenses will get updated on your future renewal the licenses needs to be replaced as well.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
To create an Avid Support Case, you may go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-support/contact-audio-and-music-support
Old 12-05-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvicente22 View Post
Hi Scott,

We apologize as well with the inconvenience. Possible that the system ids that are being renewed are part of legacy part number and to make sure that your licenses will get updated on your future renewal the licenses needs to be replaced as well.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.
I will be responding to the support case as soon as I have time. What I do really appreciate is the increased presence of Avid staff on these forums, helping users and responding to questions and concerns. You are very much appreciated!!
Old 12-05-2023, 09:29 AM
Avid

You are very much welcome! DM me if needed.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:55 AM

Just an update that Avid Support sorted this out and removed the duplicate licenses. Fingers crossed that this doesn't happen again!