Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2023, 08:43 AM

Default Who's Enjoying Their MBox? Let's Share

Most post here when they have a question or a problem, but I'm just curious about how people are using their MBox.

My setup is a home studio where I mostly compose my own music. I like to record in the box, so this typically has me recording guitar and bass using the instrument inputs, using the MIDI ports for keys and mic inputs for acoustic guitar and an occasional vocal.

I find the MBox to be super flexible for both recording and general use.
The variable Z on the inputs work well with my various guitars. It can bring some sheen to my Strats and tame a bright guitar if needed. I often use the control input for Wah effects or to control other parameters like rolling the distortion level for different parts of a song. The FX loop has also come in handy when I want to use a specific effect from a hardware box that I just can't seem to replicate with plug-ins.

It's also been great to use it as a mixer, using MBox Control to set up different mixes for the various outputs. Oh, and speaking of outputs, I really enjoy being able to switch between main, alt and BT outputs right from the box. I don't use BT for tracking/mixing, but it is really nice to listen to a completed mix on a set of BT speakers across the room just by switching outputs.

Stability on Windows has been great too.

What are your success stories?

System Details
Old 07-20-2023, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Who's Enjoying Their MBox? Let's Share

I run an ADR studio and upgraded my setup a few weeks ago. I think it is an awesome hardware, pretty clean pres. I dont use bluetooth either but I did a few tests and it appears to be pretty solid connection.

Talkback feature it is a must for me, very happy with that

There are some features that I think it could be better, like, my standard setup is recording using a shotgun and a lav, or a U87 and shotgun. I need to set different gains, sometimes I need to adjust both gains at the same time. The first thing that I did was to LINK channels, but when I do this, MBOX uses the same gain for both channels, no good for me, OMNI I/O had a link feature that preserves individual gains.

Switching from inputs using the big wheel is cool, but if I need to toggle between 2 inputs using ONLY the big wheel is a little bit time-consuming, If I could change input number using User Actions Buttons will be much more agile to me, but this is not possible at this time.

If I could control input gains in pro tools would be very nice too.

Besides that, like I said, it is an awesome hardware.

Mix Stage 2 PT HDX2 Ultimate 2023.6 S6 MTRX I/O Hackintosh i7 8700K 32 Gb RAM OSX 12.6.7

Mix Stage 3 PT HDX Ultimate 2023.6 D-Command HD I/O Hackintosh i7 8700K 32 Gb RAM OSX 12.6.7

ADR PT MBox Studio Ultimate 2023 Mac Mini M1 8 Gb RAM OSX 13.4.1

Edit 1 PT HDN PCIe 2023.6 96 I/O Intel i7 6700K 32 Gb RAM.OS Windows 10

Estúdio JLS Facilidades Sonoras
São Paulo - Brazil

Last edited by Daniel Sasso; 07-20-2023 at 12:53 PM. Reason: updated my signature and correction of some typos
Old 07-20-2023, 01:08 PM

If I had a hand in designing the physical package, I probably would have done a bit different, but having said that. I am quite happy with it and its way beyond my needs. I retired an HDN card/192 and have had essentially zero issues. Just wish it would power on from my master power switch

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-26-2023, 08:09 AM

I’m totally enjoying setting up and learning about my MBOX, MBOX Control, and ProTools.

I’m a Drummer with many goals in my use case for my MBOX …

1. Install both Tannoy Reveal Main Studio Monitors and Amazon Echo Studio Alternate Consumer Reference Monitors.
2. Install Xvive Wireless System with In-Ear-Monitors.
3. Install Beyerdynamic DT880 Headphones.
4. Install Yamaha EAD10 Drum Module with snare Trigger.
5. Install two Overhead Drum Mics.
6. Install Dell Inspiron 3020 Windows 11 PC.
7. Instal MBOX Control and Pro Tools Studio DAW.

My Home Use Case case is multi fold fold …

1. Practice Sessions with music playing through all four monitors and IEMs.
2. Recording Sessions with music playing through the IEMs and recording through the EAD AND Overhead Mics to the MBOX to the DAW.
3. Mixing Sessions through Pro Tools DAW with Beyerdynamic DT880 Headphones.

I’m still very new and building my setup. Enjoying the journey!

Computer: Dell Inspiron 3020
Audio Interface: Avid MBOX Studio
DAW: Avid Pro Tools 2023
Electronic Acoustic Drum Module: Yamaha EAD10
Mics: Shure SM58, Audio-Technica AT2020
Monitors: Tannoy Reveal 501a
IEM: Xvive U4T9 Wireless IEM System
Mixing Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
Drums: 7 Piece Tama Superstar Classic Kit
Cymbals: Sabian HHX Complex
Drums: 4 Piece Tama Club-Jam Suitcase Kit
Cymbals: Sabian Pro

Last edited by MightyT; 08-05-2023 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Most post here when they have a question or a problem, but I'm just curious about how people are using their MBox.

My setup is a home studio where I mostly compose my own music. I like to record in the box, so this typically has me recording guitar and bass using the instrument inputs, using the MIDI ports for keys and mic inputs for acoustic guitar and an occasional vocal.

I find the MBox to be super flexible for both recording and general use.
The variable Z on the inputs work well with my various guitars. It can bring some sheen to my Strats and tame a bright guitar if needed. I often use the control input for Wah effects or to control other parameters like rolling the distortion level for different parts of a song. The FX loop has also come in handy when I want to use a specific effect from a hardware box that I just can't seem to replicate with plug-ins.

It's also been great to use it as a mixer, using MBox Control to set up different mixes for the various outputs. Oh, and speaking of outputs, I really enjoy being able to switch between main, alt and BT outputs right from the box. I don't use BT for tracking/mixing, but it is really nice to listen to a completed mix on a set of BT speakers across the room just by switching outputs.

Stability on Windows has been great too.

What are your success stories?
I've been trying to figure out how to do in PT what I can do in Cubase as far as listening to different mixes.

I have 3 Aux channels, each being fed different mixes from groups in PT. Like, a full mix, a mix with no lead vocal, and an all instrumental mix. Trying to figure out how I could quickly listen (headphones ) to each of those with the Mbox Studio. I'm really thick when it comes to this stuff In Cubase you have a control where it's reasonably easy to set this up. Any ideas or can it even be done?

Very happy with the unit btw. Only gripe is that that using DVerb for a monitoring verb was not the greatest choice for me personally. Reverb One would have been great.
Old 11-13-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Only gripe is that that using DVerb for a monitoring verb was not the greatest choice for me personally. Reverb One would have been great.
Yes, if you are new to Pro Tools, a better reverb is probably the first thing to add. Personally, I love the IK Classik Reverbs. Next, I would check out the Slate everything bundle as their Reverbs can cover almost any music project you could want(and several of the other plugins work very nicely such as the 1176 variants, the Distressor and DeEsser).

Old 11-13-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Yes, if you are new to Pro Tools, a better reverb is probably the first thing to add. Personally, I love the IK Classik Reverbs. Next, I would check out the Slate everything bundle as their Reverbs can cover almost any music project you could want(and several of the other plugins work very nicely such as the 1176 variants, the Distressor and DeEsser).
No, I'm talking about the built in reverb in the MBox Studio....a little more DSP and we could have had something good sounding..
Old 11-14-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
No, I'm talking about the built in reverb in the MBox Studio....a little more DSP and we could have had something good sounding..
Aha, yes, but its fine for what it needs to do. I always use the IK Classik reverbs and create my headphone mixes from the session by using send controls on all tracks. Old habits die hard